United Preparatory Academy, Elementary Teaching Fellow 2022-23 (Columbus, OH)
Columbus, OH, United States
Date published: 13-May-2022
School Year: 2022-2023
Position: Teaching Fellow
Campus: United Preparatory Academy (East or State St.)
Grade(s): Kindergarten - 5th Grade
Reports to: School Director
The United Schools Network (USN) is a nonprofit organization in Columbus, Ohio. After founding its first school in 2008, it has worked together with incredible leaders to open three more schools in the span of ten years. Each USN school is an open enrollment, public charter school that works diligently to close the opportunity gap in Columbus. Moreover, the mission of all USN schools is to transform lives and our communities through the power of education, while maintaining our vision: For every child, an open door.
USN currently operates two high-performing elementary schools (K-5) and two high-performing middle schools (6-8) that serve more than 1,000 students. We strive to provide students with a rigorous academic experience in a joyful learning environment, and we work hard to ensure that students of all levels grow and succeed by focusing on intentional student support and continual improvement.
The Teaching Fellow position provides a unique opportunity for talented individuals to explore the field of education and to gain hands-on practice and the training necessary to become a successful full-time classroom teacher. Teaching Fellows will have an opportunity to observe and learn from experienced educators, observe best practices in classroom instruction, provide in-house substitute teaching coverage for teachers, co-teach with teacher-leaders, and support teachers with tutoring, grading, and individual or small-group instruction. By the end of the year, Teaching Fellows will be strong candidates for full-time teaching positions within the network.
Joining Our Team
USN Core Traits:
- Mission-Driven. USN team members believe deeply in the mission of United Schools Network: to transform lives and our communities through the power of education.
- Growth Mindset. USN team members believe in their ability, and the ability of all students, to grow and improve.
- Relationship-Driven. USN team members get proximate to USN students, families, and colleagues to develop authentic relationships that inform work in the classroom.
- Conscientiousness. USN team members are professional, reliable, diligent, and pay attention to detail.
- Emotionally Constant. USN team members maintain a sense of calm while addressing a number of priorities.
● Holds a B.A./B.S. degree and has the ability to secure the appropriate teaching license.
● Has prior experience working in urban schools and/or communities (preferred).
Knowledge and Skills
● Is committed to using data-driven instructional practices and the techniques outlined in Teach Like a Champion 3.0 to improve student outcomes.
● Is relentless in writing, refining, and internalizing curriculum, lessons, and assessments.
● Is open and committed to implementing frequent feedback from team members.
● Communicates effectively with students, families, and colleagues.
● Comfortability with Google products for effective communication and completion of job responsibilities.
Terms of Employment
● Although this position will begin August 1st, 2022, applications will be considered immediately.
● Salary: $28,000/year
○ Medical, dental, vision, life, and disability coverage
○ Employees are eligible to participate in the State Teachers Retirement System of Ohio (STRS) or the School Employees Retirement System of Ohio (SERS).
Apply online at unitedschoolsnetwork.org/join.