Coney Island Prep Elementary School, Dean of Instruction (2019-2020) (Brooklyn, NY)
Date published: 2-Nov-2018
An Invitation to Apply for the Position of
Elementary School Dean of Instruction
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School
Brooklyn, New York
About Coney Island Prep
Coney Island Prep is a college preparatory public charter school in Brooklyn, New York. Merging growth, performance and commitment, the Coney Island Prep community takes its responsibility to prepare students for the college and career of their choice very seriously. Professionals balance their sense of ownership and responsibility with humility and levity and are supported every step of the way.
Coney Island Prep currently serves over 1,000 scholars across its three schools, including 300 scholars in kindergarten – fourth grade at the elementary school; 360 scholars in fifth – eighth grades at the middle school; and 350 scholars in ninth-twelfth grade at the high school. Coney Island Prep Elementary School scholars experience a rich, academically rigorous curriculum in English Language Arts, math, science, history, dance, and music.
The mission of Coney Island Prep is to prepare every student to succeed in the college and career of their choice. We achieve success through a rigorous academic program in a supportive and structured school community.
There is no more urgent task than to educate students from low-income backgrounds. So we hire professionals who are committed to the core. It’s high-energy, fast-paced, tiring and sometimes all-consuming. But we wouldn’t have it any other way. And neither would you. You own your work and when you reach your goals, you reach higher. Our educators work incredibly hard, and are inspired by the urgency of what we do. We need teachers who aren’t afraid to ask for help, feedback, and support. They’re driven by personal responsibility, data, and results, and they’re not above doing whatever’s asked. They make friends at work, smile through hectic days, and add a little levity along the way.
What We Have to Offer
There are plenty of ways you can make an impact. And our team is all in. You have the opportunity to work with students, and there’s always someone who’s got your back from coaching you through a challenging day to helping you grow professionally. And while the environment can be fast paced and ever-changing, you’ll have all of the technology and caffeine you need to get the job done.
The Apprentice Teacher position is a great opportunity for recent college graduates who are interested in a career in education, but do not have prior teaching experience or New York state certification. Offers to become a Coney Island Prep Apprentice Teacher are contingent upon acceptance into the Relay Graduate School of Education Teaching Residency, a two-year apprenticeship that allows you to gain valuable experience by taking on responsibilities both inside and outside of the classroom while receiving exceptional professional development throughout the year. Upon successfully completing the program, residents receive a Masters in the Art of Teaching (M.A.T.) degree and New York state certification.
The total cost of the Masters degree is highly subsidized through AmeriCorps grants and financial aid from Coney Island Prep, lowering the out-of-pocket expenses to just $1,250 per year. Your schedule as an Apprentice teacher will be created to accommodate your classes at Relay, and the support you receive from Coney Island Prep will be in conjunction with your coursework. As an Apprentice Teacher, you will receive training in many aspects of teaching, including mindsets and professionalism, classroom management, and teaching a rigorous, complete lesson. Employment as an Apprentice Teacher at Coney Island Prep is contingent upon admission and completion of the residency program at Relay GSE. This is a requirement of the program.
Mindsets and Experience
- Passion for education and a dedication to Coney Island Prep’s mission
- Steadfast belief that all students can achieve at the highest academic levels and deserve an opportunity to succeed in the college and career of their choice
- Bachelors degree required; we offer $2,000 towards the completion of a Masters degree and NY State certification within two years of employment
- Cultural competencies to work in low-income communities and a willingness to examine own biases across lines of sameness and difference
- Maintains professionalism through excellent organizational skills, timeliness, regular communication, and meeting deadlines
- Culturally responsive and age appropriate conflict resolution skills
- Self-reflective and open to regular feedback
- An entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work inherent in a start-up
- A positive, solution-oriented attitude and drive for excellence
- Eagerness to work collaboratively as part of a team
- A strong track record of building positive relationships across various stakeholder groups demonstrating a value towards diversity and inclusivity
Curriculum, Assessment, and Student Achievement
● Research, design, and/or supplement the academic curriculum for assigned grade level based on successful models and approaches
● Align the academic curriculum with state standards, Coney Island Prep standards, and other scientifically-based benchmarks;
● Document and communicate scope and sequence for assigned grade level
● Monitor grade-level progress against scope and sequence
● Analyze school-wide and grade level data regularly in order to design responsive student interventions
● Devise and monitor high-impact support plans for struggling students
● Track other useful academic data (e.g. homework completion rates); inspiringly communicate progress to students, teachers and parents
● Champion effective instructional data practices and assessments.
● Direct the interim assessment process to ensure that teachers are using data to drive instruction.
● Facilitate regular, meaningful interim assessment data debriefs with teachers.
● Support a culture of high academic and behavioral expectations
● Directly coach a portfolio of teachers to help them continuously improve on Coney Island Prep’s Teacher Observation Rubric
● Observe lessons and provide on-going, specific, actionable, positive and constructive feedback that ensures the teacher can translate the feedback into improved instruction.
● Effectively plan both full units and individual lessons with teachers, guiding them through the entire backwards-planning process.
● Provide clear, actionable feedback to teachers on classroom management, lesson planning, and lesson implementation
● Model outstanding instruction for teachers
● Lead planning and internalization meetings for teachers to effectively prepare them for lesson implementation.
● Complete formal teacher evaluations.
● Design and run high-quality professional development sessions that are based on student achievement and observation data.
● Evaluate instructional staff.
● Work with each team member to set clear, measurable, outcome-oriented academic goals for the year and plan professional development opportunities around those academic goals.
● Reinforce the mission of the school with staff and inspire them to act on the mission every single day; exude urgency, excellence, and optimism; use the mission as a litmus test for school-based decisions and to provide focus when prioritizing what will have the greatest impact on students; instill staff with a feeling that they are contributing to something greater than themselves.
● Reflect on actions and adjust behavior and systems accordingly; ask regularly for feedback; model humility and admit mistakes; seek out thought partners.
● Partner with Dean of Students to support efforts in character development and school culture to facilitate meetings with parents when discussing a student’s academic progress.
● Partner with families to support scholars in academic and social success.
Benefits and Compensation
- Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Employees at Coney Island Prep are eligible for an annual retention bonus after their first year.
- As a regular full time employee of Coney Island Prep, you will be eligible for benefits that include medical, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as a 403(b) retirement benefit package with match and Paid Family Leave.
● Staff members are provided with a MacBook Air and access to all the necessary technology and resources needed to succeed in their role.
Interested applicants should go toto apply for available jobs. Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, citizenship or disability. We want Coney Island Prep to be a place where students and staff of all backgrounds, experiences, and identities feel as though they feel valued and can excel.