Alpha Public Schools, K-4 Design Lead (2018-2019) (San Jose, CA)
San Jose, CA
Date published: 1-May-2018
We believe that all children have a fundamental right to an excellent education.
Alpha Public Schools will ensure that all of our scholars develop the academic skills and leadership habits required to succeed in college and live with integrity.
K-4 Design Lead, Office of the Chief Schools Officer
Are you ready to have a bigger impact in your professional life? Are you inspired by the challenge and hard work of bringing excellent elementary schools to students and communities who most need them? Are you ready to lead a team that scales an exceptional school model to more school sites?
If so, Alpha’s K-4 Design Lead role may be just what you’re looking for. As the K-4 Design Lead, you will grow the Alpha K-4 model from one school - Alpha: Cornerstone - to two additional schools, Alpha: Blanca Alvarado and Alpha: Jose Hernandez (both currently 5-8 schools in the Alpha network). You will spend one year learning about what makes Cornerstone such a successful school and creating a plan for scaling the K-4 model, and then you will lead the K-4 program at the middle schools in 2019-2020.
What you’ll do…
- Learn about the Alpha: Cornerstone (a 2018 California Distinguished School) model by observing, co-teaching, participating in professional development, and talking with staff, parents, and students
- Create a process for translating this model to two new schools by capturing and designing academic, cultural, and operational systems that will ultimately serve thousands of students in East San Jose
- Lead the launch and implementation of the K-4 model at the 5-8 campuses, resulting in extraordinary academic outcomes for scholars
- Own the people model, from naming the traits of the best Cornerstone teachers, to teacher hiring, management, and coaching
- Develop excitement across our community - staff, parents, scholars, board members, and funders - about the opening of K-4
You are good at…
- Relationship Building: Build trust that enables you to partner with teachers, school leaders, network staff, and board members to transpose a successful model to a new environment
- Design: Create two new K-4 programs that embody the core elements of the Cornerstone model at new schools
- Synthesis: Develop and assess alternatives, extract insights, and build the case for final recommendations and associated action plans
You really set yourself apart by being…
- An incredible elementary educator with several years of teaching experience with demonstrated results from your students and any teachers you coach
- Adept at managing change and getting teams bought in to new initiatives
- Curious, passionate, and good at infecting others with excitement about the future
Join our team…
Alpha Public Schools is a network of four high-performing public charter schools founded by a group of East San José mothers dedicated to helping transform their community. We have a strong growth mindset – as individuals, as an organization, and on behalf of our students and families. We want to be better tomorrow than we are today.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.
Salary is competitive and compensation includes a comprehensive benefits package