Alpha Public Schools, High School Principal (2018-2019) (San Jose, CA)
San Jose, CA
Date published: 22-Mar-2018
Alpha Public Schools is seeking a dynamic and determined instructional leader to drive excellence for our high school scholars and families and finish growing Alpha’s high school. Our new Principal will enjoy the challenge of working with a wide range of students, and will work to design a high school learning environment where these students will thrive academically and socially.
The ideal candidate is an exceptional instructional and cultural leader, with successful experience working in low income communities and an unwavering belief that all students can and will go to college. This individual is unapologetic about holding students and adults to high expectations and is unafraid to enforce these expectations, as well as train and expect their team to do so.
The Principal will lead the redesign of two key elements of the high school: the advisory system and the college-going culture of the school. We are looking for a leader who can design a system in which advisors set goals with students on a week-to-week basis and help students drive their own progress on these goals. This is a key skill that students will need in college that we have not built a system for yet. The other system that the new leader will have the opportunity to re-think are systems that drive students’ excitement and knowledge about college as underclassmen. While college counseling systems are built out at the junior and senior levels, we know that the focus on college and the preparation to excel must be developed even earlier.
ALPHA’S LEADERSHIP COMPETENCY MODEL
Alpha principals spend their time on instructional leadership, which includes driving academic results, ensuring a strong college-driven culture, and cultivating and developing a dynamic team. Alpha principals are responsible for all key metrics of running a successful school, including operational and community indicators, but are primarily evaluated on success in the three core domains of academic results, culture, and people leadership.
What you’ll do…
- Set ambitious school-wide vision and goals aligned to the Alpha network vision, goals, and priorities, that lead students to master rigorous academic content that prepares them for college.
- Plan and prioritize time and resources to achieve school annual goals and principal performance metrics.
- Build personal, leadership team, and teacher knowledge of good instructional design and academic standards:
- Lead team to understand how standards map to curriculum and assessments.
- Facilitate team understanding of what students know, and what they must be able to do, and what instructional practices can bridge this gap.
- Analyze student data to identify gaps in understanding and what instructional response will move students toward mastery.
- Analyze, practice, and adjust instruction as part of a content team.
- Hire, develop, and retain a diverse, high-achieving school team.
- Coach the leadership team members as true owners of results.
- Model expectations for leaders, teachers, and students on school-wide positive learning culture.
- Lead high-quality support for the school team by:
- Observing, coaching, and developing assistant principals and instructional coaches to ensure that they are providing high-impact, actionable, bite-sized feedback to each teacher.
- Leading high-quality site PD that closes the biggest gaps between student understanding and student achievement.
- Ensure that all students plan to go to college and understand the necessary steps to get there.
- Create and maintain a positive environment for students and staff that embodies and celebrates Alpha’s values of leadership, relationships, excellence, integrity, and joy.
- Engage parents in building a college-going culture for students and the community.
- Act as the public face of the school in the community - attending community events, board meetings, and student recruitment events as necessary.
- Ensure that the school operates on budget by meeting student enrollment and attendance targets.
- Ensure that school operations work in service of academics.
- Belief that all students from the community we serve have the capacity to go to and through college
- Ability to motivate a school community to take action to dramatically increase student results
- Demonstrated student achievement results from the teachers that the leader has managed or coached
- Ability to analyze and plan from student data and coach teachers and leaders to create excellent plans
- Deep understanding of appropriate pedagogical strategies, differentiation techniques for diverse learners, and instructional design to serve a broad body of students
- 1-2 years of school leadership experience with proven results
- Conversational Spanish or Vietnamese a plus
- BA from accredited university
- Valid Teaching Credential
- CA Administrative Service Credential a plus
Join our team…
Incomplete applications or those with errors will not be considered. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.