Alpha Public Schools, Director of Talent (2018-2019) (San Jose, CA)
San Jose, CA
Date published: 25-May-2018
Alpha Public Schools is a network of four public charter schools serving the students of East San Jose. We believe that all children have a fundamental right to an excellent education. Alpha Public Schools will ensure that all of our scholars develop the academic skills and leadership habits required to succeed in college and live with integrity.
Are you ready to have a bigger impact in your professional life? Are you inspired by the challenge of finding and developing amazing people to close the education gap in the communities that need us most? Are you ready to lead a team that makes sure that every student has incredible teachers, leaders, and support staff at every step of their journey to college?
If so, Alpha’s Director of Talent role may be just what you’re looking for. As the Director of Talent, you will work closely with Alpha’s CEO and the A-team - our leadership team of principals and Network staff - to chart Alpha’s future course and amplify our impact. You’ll be responsible for leading a team to recruit top talent to our rapidly growing organization, while acting as a key advisor to our senior leaders and hiring managers. Alpha is at a critical moment – still fiercely entrepreneurial while in the process of building the structures and systems that will support further scaling. You will play a major role in this work as the leader of Talent and HR strategy.
What you’ll do…
● Lead a talented team to ensure that every Alpha school is staffed with high-quality teachers, support staff and school leaders through outstanding candidate sourcing, recruitment, and selection.
● Own Alpha’s talent strategy, including a redesign of performance management, compensation, and teacher retention strategy, in collaboration with senior leaders across the organization.
● Partner with Alpha’s CEO to encourage an exceptional organizational culture that showcases our values - relationships, leadership, excellence, integrity, joy - where people from all backgrounds thrive.
● Support the the Human Resources Manager to make sure employee voices are heard, acting as an advocate for staff and coach for managers across the organization on core human resources work, including stewarding HR processes, teacher credentialing, and HR-related legal compliance.
● Develop our recruitment strategy, leading your team to support the entire talent acquisition lifecycle - recruiting, onboarding, performance management and retention.
● Manage and ensure a best-in-class candidate experience from initial conversation to offer acceptance by building and managing key systems and processes.
● Create a diverse pipeline of exceptional talent, particularly through Alpha’s teacher resident program.
You are good at…
● Project Management: Constructing work plans and managing a team toward completion by monitoring and communicating progress and troubleshooting obstacles
● Recruiting Talent: Sourcing and recruiting best-in-class teachers and school leaders
● Building Culture: Creating an environment where every teammate can do their best work
You really set yourself apart by being…
● A thoughtful communicator who easily gains the trust and confidence of a wide variety of stakeholders, with excellent judgement and discretion
● Able to maintain a positive, nurturing presence even amidst challenges
● A coach with exceptional skills at developing others - and the capacity to help other managers understand and excel at this critical task
● Excellent at using data to understand challenges, set goals, and adjust plans to meet goals
Genuine, humble, and passionate