Alpha Public Schools, Assistant Principal of Culture (2018-2019) (San Jose, CA)
San Jose, CA
Date published: 27-Mar-2018
Alpha Public Schools is a network of four public charter schools serving the students of East San Jose. We believe that all children have a fundamental right to an excellent education. Alpha Public Schools will ensure that all of our scholars develop the academic skills and leadership habits required to succeed in college and live with integrity.
Alpha is seeking mission-driven leaders who believe all students can excel in the right environment. The ideal candidate believes equally in strong relationships and a high degree of accountability for performance, knows how to lead and inspire others to fight for children, and has the skill and drive to build a strong, high functioning school community that pushes our students beyond traditional expectations. The AP of Culture believes every student can excel and gets excited about working with the most challenging students.
Assistant Principals of Culture will receive professional development and hands-on leadership training. They will report directly to their respective school site Principal. The Assistant Principal will have high expectations for students, staff and self. They are willing to work hard and do whatever is necessary to ensure the success of every student, take risks, embrace change, be innovative, commit to continuous improvement, and learn from data and failures. Alpha school leaders will embrace and learn to foster a growth mindset in others, deliver constructive criticism, and collaborate as part of a team. These leaders will also possess strong character and a consistent track record of high performance that is results-oriented. Finally, Alpha’s leaders will hold a deep belief that all students can succeed in college and life.
- Execute on and own school-wide behavior management systems, expectations, and incentives across the school site
- Create and maintain a joyful, positive school community for students and adults
- Collect school site culture data and key metrics
- Meet regularly with Director of Culture to review key metrics and action plan
- Manage self and others in a manner that creates a healthy, high-achieving environment where staff feel challenged, and also fully supported and valued
- Promote Alpha’s organizational values
- Model relentless positive accountability with adults and students
- Exhibit cultural competency in key decision-making
- Create opportunities for meaningful parent involvement through collaboration with Parent Center Manager
- Model student core values and core components of personalized leadership training inside and outside of the classroom
- Hold all students to high expectations both academic and behavior
Teacher Support & Coaching
- Coach and develop teachers, PLT staff, Specials Teachers, and Gen. Ed Counselors by conducting observation cycles, real-time coaching, and providing support and resources aimed at improving classroom culture and teacher capacity to manage behavior
- Lead and contribute to the design and implementation of culture-focused teacher professional development sessions throughout the school year
- Use data to drive on culture priorities, inform coaching, and drive progress towards Alpha’s big goals
- Foster collaborative problem solving and open communication among staff
Student Achievement and Management
- Drive academic achievement for students and build a rigorous college prep environment
- Build strong relationships with students and their families by drawing on personal experience, adversity, and triumph
- Manage school-wide positive student culture and discipline (arrival, dismissal, lunch, student transitions, school wide events)
- Work closely with colleagues to problem solve and to create a successful learning environment
- Assist in the successful execution of school wide testing with collaboration from the Network Academic Team
- Collaborate with Principal, Office Team and the Operations Team at the network to ensure all school based operations run smoothly
- Manage PLT staff, Specials Teachers, and General Education Counselors towards Alpha’s big goals
- Conduct performance evaluations and create development plans for all direct reports
- Collaborate with Principal and AP of Instruction during all school based staff evaluations
- Support in executing the Student Recruitment & Enrollment plan at the school site
- Collaborate with the Director of Culture, Director of Special Education, and DIrector of Student Services to ensure that teachers and students receive necessary support
- LEADER: Alpha school leaders have 2+ years of teaching experiences, particularly in low-income schools. They should be able to identify increasing levels of responsibility and showcase exceptional student outcomes.
- DRIVEN: Alpha school leaders have a sustained commitment to the school and workplace that demonstrates persistence and drive to complete a job.
- RELATIONSHIP BUILDER: Alpha school leaders demonstrate how they have leveraged relationships to improve outcomes for students and will develop strong relationships with Alpha students, families, and staff.
- FLEXIBLE: Alpha school leaders adapt to meet the needs of students, staff, and the school community.
- 2+ years of teaching experience
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Valid and current Teaching Credential (California or out of state)
- Conversational Spanish or Vietnamese a plus
- Competitive starting salaries
- Excellent medical benefits
- Travel stipend to visit other high-performing schools and attend conferences
- Targeted professional development on school leadership
- A safe, engaging, dynamic work environment
- A remarkably supportive staff and mission-driven organization
Incomplete applications or those with errors will not be considered. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.
If you have any questions, reach out to the Recruitment Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
POSITION: Assistant Principal of Culture
REPORTS TO: Principal
Director of Culture (ANT), School Leadership Team, Office Staff, Parent Center Manager
Teachers, Students, Parents
LOCATION: San Jose, CA