RePublic Schools, Associate Director of Human Resources (2018-2019) (Nashville, TN)
Date published: 5-Sep-2018
RePublic Schools is a network of high-performing public charter schools based in Nashville, TN and Jackson, MS with a mission to reimagine public education in the South and prepare all of our scholars to graduate from college. In addition to providing a world-class traditional academic curriculum, we empower our students to be change-makers by teaching them to code – starting in the 5th grade.
Despite the fact that our scholars come from traditionally underserved communities (approximately 85% identify as low-income, and nearly 95% as students of color), we have seen them defy the odds to achieve outstanding results. RePublic’s schools have scored in the top 5% of all open-enrollment public schools across the state of Tennessee for both student growth and absolute achievement – making ours the first (and only) charter schools in state history to achieve this dual distinction.
At RePublic, we know that people are the key levers to the ultimate success of our scholars. In order to actualize our mission, RePublic’s team must be comprised of the highest-quality talent in the world. We are looking for a people-focused, customer-experience oriented, data-driven, organizational mastermind to serve as an Associate Director of Human Resources (HR) on RePublic's network Talent Team. Our Associate Director of HR will block and tackle for our team to ensure that staff members receive the support they need to thrive in their work across the organization.
What You’ll Do
At RePublic, we believe the people in front of our scholars and leading our schools each day are the key determinants of their ultimate success, and that people development is the primary lever through which we unlock our students’ true potential. RePublic’s Talent Team is charged with ensuring that we attract, select, develop, engage, and retain a dynamic and diverse staff committed and empowered to lead scholars to outstanding outcomes. RePublic’s Associate Director of Human Resources will sit on this team, and manage key human resources functions across all schools in our network.
RePublic's Associate Director of HR will work on RePublic's network Talent Team.
- Staff Member Onboarding
- Train school leaders to cultivate relationships with new hires to ensure they arrive for, are prepared for, and are invested in their Day 1 start in new roles
- Improve, design, manage and execute onboarding processes and systems for new hires at the school and network level, both during the peak onboarding season (June/July), and throughout the academic year, to ensure that staff members are set up to succeed upon entry to the organization
- Ensure all new hires complete onboarding action items and new hire paperwork
- Work alongside school leaders and network teammates to ensure that mid-year hires have strong onboarding plans that are excellently facilitated
- Employee Benefits Administration
- Enroll, terminate, and process changes to employee benefits, and serve as a resource to all staff members to address questions and concerns related to benefit options
- Manage Annual Open Enrollment Process, including rollout of all benefits plan changes and rates
- In partnership with Network Director of Operations and Chief Financial Officer, provide reviews and recommendations to changes in the comprehensive employee benefits package at RePublic
- Staff Handbook + Personnel Policies
- Own the writing and revision of RePublic employee handbook and personnel policies, including authoring new policies as needed and training staff members on annual updates
- Manage all time off processes, including communication of policies and systems to staff members, data management and reporting, and meeting with staff members and school leaders to create plans that support a staff member’s time off and successful return, and facilitate securing of coverage in preparation for time off
- Manage workers compensation procedures, including claims, reporting, compliance, and annual audits
- Ensure that all staff members, substitute teachers, volunteers have completed required fingerprinting and cleared background checks
- HRIS Implementation + Management
- Maintain staff member information in RePublic’s Human Resource Information System (HRIS) to ensure employee information is submitted, accurate, and up to date
- Other HR + Performance Management
- Coach school leaders on how to approach common human resources concerns with staff, and directly facilitate and/or lead complex human resources conversations alongside leaders
- Conduct annual study and review of RePublic compensation for positions across the network, and work with Talent, Finance to ensure that compensation at RePublic is competitive in our regions
- Design, deliver, analyze and share results of staff survey data with stakeholders across network
- Over time, take on additional responsibilities and leadership related to performance management, including such projects as development of leadership competency framework, design and execution of internal talent review, interview and promotion systems, etc.
- Support Talent Team with recruitment or other people projects as needed throughout year
Who You Are
- A serial optimist. You've got a deep, personal commitment to the mission of RePublic Schools, and a genuine belief that all students can achieve academic excellence, regardless of race or socioeconomic status. You've got a "healthy rage" about the state of public education in the South - and you want to be a part of a team that is doing something about it every single day.
- A details maven. Nothing gets past you. You don't drop balls, miss deadlines, or forget to respond to someone's inquiry. You track timelines, data, and information in an organized and systematic fashion. You follow up with people to follow up with you - whether it's planning a flawless event or executing a seamless interview, you amaze and wow people with your superhuman eye for the little things.
- A customer-service enthusiast. You know that first impressions matter. And you care deeply about how others experience the organizations you care about. You will go above and beyond to make sure people have the information and resources they need to be successful.
- A driver of results. You've demonstrated ability to drive results in the pursuit of ambitious goals, and you combine your exceptional strategic, analytical, and critical thinking skills with your penchant to use data to drive decision-making to achieve impressive outcomes. You know that inputs are important - but at the end of the day, only outputs matter.
- A systems builder. You're unfazed by ambiguity, and thrive in situations where you get to build something out of nothing, or create order out of chaos. You want to do work that's never been done before, better than anyone's ever done it.
- An entrepreneurial learner. You are a self-directed go-getter. You take initiative, generate ideas/solutions to problems, operate with a growth mindset, and seek opportunities for feedback.
- Other qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree in a related field strongly preferred
- 3-5 years prior experience working in human resources, talent management, talent acquisition required; in the education sector highly preferred
- Prior experience leading/managing across large and diverse teams, preferably across regions, highly preferred
- Prior experience teaching in low-income schools or strong, demonstrated interest in K-12 public education highly preferred