Bright Star Schools, High School Inclusion Specialist - Rise Kohyang High School (2018-2019) (Los Angeles, CA)
Los Angeles, CA
Date published: 2-Nov-2018
*NOTE: New Inclusive Specialist Teachers will receive a $5,000 signing bonus, on top of their salary offer.
Step 1: Submit Application
*Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. All applications should be submitted via the “JOIN OUR TEAM” section at .
Completed application include:
□ Cover letter
□ Two letters of recommendation
□ Three professional references
*One must be a current or former supervisor.
Step 2: Phone Interview
Step 3: In-Person Interview with Bright Star Schools
*Selected applications will be asked to provide transcripts (to determine their potential salary offer).
Step 4: School Site Interview
*Selected applicants will be invited to an in-person interview at a specific site and give a model lesson to students.
Inclusive Specialist (Special Education) Teacher
Reporting to: Principal
Bright Star Schools is a free, publicly funded and open enrollment non-profit organization with seven public charters in urban Los Angeles. Across all of our Bright Star sites, over 90% of our students are eligible for free and reduced lunch.
Our mission is to provide holistic, inclusive support for all students to achieve academic excellence and grow their unique talents so that they find joy in higher education, career, and life. Bright Star students will become leaders who act with integrity and champion equity to enrich our communities and the world. The framework to our success is our core operating principles, which are Integridad, Ubuntu, Kohyang (고향), and Growth.
At Bright Star, we’re committed to our educators’ success. We provide over 260 hours of differentiated professional development each year and offer numerous leadership opportunities to support our teachers to become experts in their craft. We also offer small class sizes, comprehensive teacher support, and numerous collaboration opportunities across the organization and within school sites.
Bright Star Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree
- CA Education Specialist Credential
- Candidates with an intern credential also considered
- Two years of urban teaching experience preferred
- Bilingual Spanish or Korean desirable
- Possession of either Bilingual, Cross-Cultural, Language and Academic Development (BCLAD) certificate; Cross-Cultural, Language and Academic Development (CLAD) certificate; Bilingual Certificate of Competence (BCC); or Language Development Specialist (LDS) certificate desirable
- Belief tha every child deserves an excellent education which prepares him/her for college and life beyond
- Demonstrated ability to teach the whole child in an inclusive setting using modifications and accommodations
- Willingness to receive feedback, engage in frequent dialogue, and ability to self-reflect
- Life-long learner
- Belief in data-driven instruction
- Firm, kind approach to managing student behavior
- Technologically competent
- Entrepreneurial spirit and creative problem solver
- Sense of humor and love of teaching
Whole School Responsibilities
- Uphold Bright Star Schools’ mission and values
- Demonstrate genuine care for all students
- Embrace existing school-wide management systems and promote high standards of behavior
- Collaborate with school leaders, providing input to improve Bright Star programs
- Actively participate in professional development sessions
- professionally with peers, supervisors, parents, and students
- Commit to a longer school day and calendar year
- Adhere to Bright Star’s professional attire guidelines
- Supervise bathroom breaks and participate in rotating detention supervision
- Uphold attendance procedures each period using School Information Systems (SIS)
- Enthusiastically participate in school-wide culture events (i.e., Songfest, academic assemblies, and Field Day)
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Adhere to Bright Star curriculum maps and guidelines
- Create weekly lesson plans/overviews
- Plan rigorous lessons aligned to the California State and/or California Common Core standards
- Differentiate lesson plans for a variety of learners (kinesthetic, gifted students, English Language Learners, and/or students with IEPs, etc.)
- Implement feedback from administrator regarding lesson plans and/or execution
- Reading Counts/Study Island)
- Maintain grade books and meet reporting deadlines (i.e., OT/CU or progress reports)
- Communicate with families regarding student academics and behavior
- Collaborate with Inclusive Education (SpEd) Team
- Use planning periods for the advancement of student academics
- Tutor students in need of remediation
- Lead enrichment activities and support Physical Education
- Perform other adjunct duties
Salary and Benefits:
Salary: BSS salary is based on experience and education, and was created in consideration of the longer school day and school year. Please click for our salary scale.
Status: Full Time
Start Date: An exceptional candidate will assume a full time role no later than August 2018. Teachers attend 3 weeks of required professional development prior to the academic school year starting.
Location: Panorama City, CA
Benefits: Health, dental, vision, STRS retirement matching, life insurance, short-term disability, optional 403b plan, sick and vacation paid time off, and holidays.
- On-site complimentary fitness classes (e.g. boxing, yoga, circuit training) and healthy snacks
- No-Cost Induction Program (to clear teaching credential) for those with a preliminary teaching credential
- Instructional Leaders as Principals
- School Connectors to support with family engagement and communication