United Schools Network, Middle School Teaching Fellow (2019-2020) (Columbus, OH)
Date published: 4-Jan-2019
Position: Middle School Teaching Fellow
Reports to: School Director
Who We Are
The United Schools Network (USN) is a nonprofit organization in Columbus, Ohio, that starts and manages urban public charter schools that close the opportunity gap. The network includes two high-performing middle schools, a high-performing elementary school, and launched a second elementary school in the fall of 2017. We are seeking a Teaching Fellow to join our network at either United Preparatory Academy-Main St. or United Preparatory Academy-State St.
Vision & Mission
Vision: For every child, an open door.
Mission: Transforming lives and our communities through the power of education.
- We hold high academic and behavioral expectations to ensure the growth of every student.
- We engage and grow competent and experienced school leadership and staff.
- We offer a rigorous academic program with intentional student supports and a comprehensive character education program.
- We provide clear standards, research-proven curriculum, and frequent assessment.
- We are a mission-driven school community.
Our Students and Results
- Admission is open to all students; academic proficiency is not considered during the admissions process.
- 75% of our students are students of color and 90% are economically disadvantaged.
- USN schools serve students in grades K-8 and have a robust alumni services program.
- USN 8th graders regularly gain acceptance to the top high school programs in the city.
The Teaching Fellow position provides a unique opportunity for talented individuals to explore the field of urban education and to gain hands-on practice and the training necessary to become a successful full-time classroom teacher. Teaching Fellows will have an opportunity to observe best practices in classroom instruction and education reform from experienced teachers and school leaders at a leading network of charter schools. Teaching Fellows observe and learn from experienced educators, co-teach with teacher-leaders, provide in-house substitute teaching coverage for teachers, and support teachers with tutoring, grading, and individual or small group student instruction.
Depending on school needs and candidate background, Teaching Fellows may teach their own class of students, allowing for direct teaching experience within a more limited teaching load. Teaching Fellows will also assist with a variety of work inside and outside of the classroom including teaching enrichment classes, organizing student events, and developing mentoring relationships with students. Through full participation in summer and school-year professional development, as well as regular meetings with school and teacher leaders, Teaching Fellows will have many opportunities to gain the experience and support necessary to develop their teaching skills. By the end of the year, Teaching Fellows will be strong candidates for full-time teaching positions within the network.
Major Performance Responsibilities and Duties:
- Teach classes on behalf of teacher-leaders who are observing other teachers.
- Provide substitute teaching coverage for teachers within the school.
- Periodically plan and deliver instruction, gradually taking on more responsibility throughout the year as assigned by the School Director.
- Support students by providing tutoring, intervention and homework assistance.
- Observe teacher leaders in order to improve instructional techniques and classroom management.
- Meet regularly with a coach to implement feedback on lessons and instruction.
- Assist teachers with instruction, assessments, grading, and other classroom responsibilities.
As appropriate, perform all duties expected of classroom teachers, including but not limited to:
· Implement curricula and activities to meet academic standards.
· Design and implement assessments that measure progress towards academic standards.
· Use assessment data to refine curriculum and inform instructional practices.
· Participate in collaborative curriculum development, grade-level activities, and school-wide functions, events, and trips.
· Provide consistent rewards and/or consequences for student behavior.
· Serve as an advisor to a group of students.
· Help co-lead advisory/homeroom in the morning and afternoon.
· Supervise students during transitions, breaks, breakfast, lunch, recess, and afterschool.
· Participate in summer and school-year professional development.
Joining Our Team
United Preparatory Academy will consider hiring a full-time Teaching Fellow who:
- Is dedicated to educational success for all students.
- Is committed to using data-driven instructional practices and the techniques outlined in Teach Like a Champion 2.0 to improve student outcomes.
- Is relentless in writing and refining curriculum, lessons, and assessments.
- Is open and committed to implementing frequent feedback from lead teachers and school leaders.
- Communicates effectively with students, parents, and colleagues.
- Holds a B.A./B.S. degree.
- Has the ability to secure the appropriate teaching license.
- Has prior experience working in urban schools and/or communities (preferred).
Terms of Employment
This is a paid teaching fellowship including comprehensive health benefits that will begin on July 22, 2019. Teaching Fellows are eligible to participate in Ohio’s State Teacher Retirement System. United Preparatory Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply online at www.applitrack.com/cca/onlineapp.