United Schools Network, Development Manager - Institutional Giving and Communications (2018-2019) (Columbus, OH)
Date published: 10-Sep-2018
The United Schools Network (USN) is a nonprofit organization that starts and manages urban charter public schools that close the achievement gap and prepare low-income students to graduate from college. The network includes two high-performing middle schools and two high-performing elementary schools. We are seeking a Development Manager to join our network. The Development Manager is a full-time position designed to develop and steward key relationships with foundations and corporations that provide revenue and programmatic support for the schools within USN. The Development Manager uses his/her superior writing skills to lead grant application and communication efforts for the development team. The Development Manager reports regularly to and is evaluated by the Development Director.
Vision & Mission
Vision: For every child, an open door.
Mission: Transforming lives and our communities through the power of education.
- All students have the ability to achieve academic excellence.
- All students thrive in a highly disciplined school environment.
- All students must be prepared to excel in demanding high schools on their way to selective colleges.
- All students deserve outstanding teachers that produce outstanding results.
Our Students and Results
● Admission is open to all students; academic proficiency is not considered during the admissions process.
● 75% of our students are students of color and 90% are economically disadvantaged.
● USN schools serve students in grades K-8 and have a robust alumni services program.
● USN 8th graders regularly gain acceptance to the top high school programs in the city.
Corporate and Foundation Relations
● Develops and executes the annual campaign for corporate and foundation gifts and sponsorships
● Manages all minor to mid-range corporate and foundation relationships
● Oversees school tours with current and potential corporate and foundation donors
● Works collaboratively on moves management strategy and solicitation
● Coordinates with Chief Schools Officer to ensure grant- and foundation-funded relationships, programs, and opportunities continue from year to year
● Meets annual budgets and goals
● Maintains a robust grants calendar to capture research, submission and reporting deadlines, and status
● Researches and writes all grant proposals, applications, and reports
● Works with colleagues to ensure grant budgets and other financial requirements are accurate
● Ensures that all deadlines are met
● Collaboratively with Individual and Volunteer Relations Development Manager, oversees development and execution of all written and digital content that tells the story of USN’s mission and reports our successes
● Develops and oversees the execution of a comprehensive social media strategy
● Works collaboratively on communication strategy for the year and for projects or campaigns
● Writes all cases for support and key message documents, including press statements
● Documents stories, quotes, and other anecdotes to be used in grants, appeals, newsletters, social media, and other communications
● Creates donor and volunteer profiles to be used in communication efforts
● Assists colleagues, cross-trains on systems, and supports the goals of the department and network
● Works in a manner consistent with mission, vision, and values of USN
● Attends conferences and seminars, studies best practices, participates in professional organizations, and shares knowledge with colleagues in the department and network
Other duties as assigned by the Development Director.
· This description is representative of the position requirements and is not intended to be all-inclusive.
Joining Our Team
United Schools Network will consider hiring a full time Development Manager - Institutional Giving and Communications with the following characteristics:
Skills, Traits, and Beliefs
● Demonstrates personal commitment to and enthusiasm for USN’s mission and financial success.
● Capacity to work well in a team environment or independently, and to adapt to a rapidly changing environment.
● Openness to feedback, a willingness to take personal responsibility for the affairs of the network, and the ability to learn from one’s mistakes.
● Excellent technical and persuasive writer; able to provide writing samples upon request.
● Personal and professional integrity with willingness to abide by the Donor Bill of Rights, the AFP code of Ethics, and the Development Team Vision, Mission, and Core Values.
● Technological proficiency in Google, Microsoft Office, and DonorPerfect or comparable CRM.
● Adept at navigating the trends and best practices surrounding various social media channels.
● Bachelor’s degree required.
● 3-5 years of experience in non-profit development or related field preferred.
Compensation and benefits are competitive; the Development Director will participate in Ohio’s State Educators Retirement System. United Schools Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer.