Great Lakes Academy, Director of Operations - Immediate Hire (Chicago, IL)
Date published: 10-Jan-2018
Great Lakes Academy is a Level 1+ charter school that opened in 2014. For the 2018-2019 academic year we will be
serving students in grades K-5 and will continue to add a grade level annually to reach K-8. We are seeking a high
capacity, fiercely positive, detail-oriented Director of Operations to start immediately.
The Director of Operations manages the operational domain of the school, from vendor and contractor relationships to
school systems and procedures to all facility needs, as well as manages and maximizes the impact of the Operations team.
1. Establishing and maintaining contracts with outside vendors
2. Ensuring school is fully supplied, from textbooks to working Chrome Books to printer ink
3. Ensuring facilities are clean, organized, and well maintained on a daily basis
4. Working closely with the leadership team, particularly the Executive Director and Principal, to create staff
schedules, school systems and procedures and strong operational support of full team
5. Implementing and managing all school technology needs from internet service to hardware
6. Ensuring clear long-term plans exist for facility maintenance
7. Creating and maintaining daily, weekly, and monthly checklists and special projects planning for the operations
8. Supporting in the management of the school’s front office, including student files and online communication
9. Ensuring operations team members are growing and improving in their skillsets on a daily basis
1. Strong, highly effective coaching and leading of GLA Operations Manager, Operations Associate(s), and Intern(s)
2. Coordinating facility operations and systems
3. Ensuring daily facility maintenance, in addition to long term facility maintenance
4. Managing facility and operational costs against a tight budget
5. Establishing, managing, and monitoring systems and processes for the sourcing, procurement, utilization of
supplies for school, including furniture, curriculum, technology, and food
3. Establishing and monitoring vendor and contractor relationships including technology services
4. Daily oversight of school-wide systems and structures such as morning entry, dismissal, lunch, etc.
5. Coordinating all online communication and ensuring quality, accuracy and timely distribution
6. Coaching and coordinating operations staff
7. Ensuring technology is well-maintained and managed for all students and staff
1. Highly organized and efficient
2. Strong communicator and collaborator
3. Experience with project management
4. Experience with management
5. Able to problem solve and think creatively about establishing systems and structures for an ever-growing school
6. Self-directed and flexible; able to thrive in a start-up environment
7. Demonstrated ability to manage cross-functional teams
8. Able to coordinate multiple priorities and multiple tasks on a daily basis
9. Able to organize daily facilities management
1. Bachelor’s degree is required.
2. Minimum of two years experience working in a similar capacity at a school with demonstrated track record of
3. Belief in and alignment with Great Lakes Academy’s core beliefs and educational philosophy is non-negotiable.
Culture Fit - Do these words describe you?
Fiercely positive, Hard-working, Intelligent, Team oriented, Organized, Sense of humor, Belief in the power of education,
Humble, Self-reflective, Self-directed, Goal-oriented, Enthusiastic