Coney Island Prep, Operations Manger (2018-2019) (Brooklyn, NY)
Date published: 11-Apr-2018
Coney Island Prep is a college preparatory public charter school in Brooklyn, New York. Merging growth, performance and commitment, the Coney Island Prep community takes its responsibility to prepare students for the college and career of their choice very seriously. Professionals balance their sense of ownership and responsibility with humility and levity and are supported every step of the way.
Coney Island Prep currently serves over 1,000 scholars across its three schools, including 300 scholars in kindergarten – fourth grade at the elementary school; 360 scholars in fifth – eighth grades at the middle school; and 350 scholars in ninth-twelfth grade at the high school. The mission of Coney Island Prep is to prepare every student to succeed in the college and career of their choice. We achieve success through a rigorous academic program in a supportive and structured school community.
There is no more urgent task than to educate students from low-income backgrounds. So we hire professionals who are committed to the core. It’s high-energy, fast-paced, tiring and sometimes all-consuming. But we wouldn’t have it any other way. And neither would you. You own your work and when you reach your goals, you reach higher. Our leaders work incredibly hard, and are inspired by the urgency of what we do. We need leaders who aren’t afraid to ask for help, feedback, and support. They’re driven by personal responsibility, data, and results, and they’re not above doing whatever’s asked. They make friends at work, smile through hectic days, and add a little levity in along the way.
The mission of the school’s Operations Team is to make teaching better and easier by directly supporting the academic program. The Operations Manager (OM) position is integral to the success of this mission, as they will ensure our staff and our scholars’ have everything they need – from materials and supplies to a beautiful and high-functioning work environment – to maximize student achievement.
The OM will implement and manage clear systems, revising them as necessary or needed, so that Coney Island Prep runs smoothly on a day-to-day basis. He or She will work to ensure all staff can focus on students rather than materials, supplies, etc. He or She will oversee and optimize the school’s purchasing, inventory, facilities, and technology environment and will ensure Coney Island Prep is a beautiful, seamless and high-functioning learning environment. The OM will also be responsible for managing the school nutrition program, student and staff event planning, as well as the student transportation system. The OM will be hired by and report to the Director of Operations.
Qualifications and Experience
- Professional demeanor, relentless work-ethic, and impeccable organizational skills
- Willingness to take on physical and sometimes menial tasks necessary for the greater good
- Interpersonal skills to foster excellent relationships with staff, vendors and support team
- Passionate dedication to Coney Island Prep’s mission, with a steadfast belief that all students deserve preparation for the college and career of their choice
- Detail and solutions-oriented mindset
- An entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work
- Bachelor’s degree
- 1 year or more of operational work in a fast-paced, demanding work environment (charter school experience preferred)
- Strong experience with Excel
- Spanish, Cantonese, or Russian proficiency a plus
Responsibilities (Includes, but not limited to)
Purchasing, Inventory and Financial Management
- Oversee approval process, staff communication and documentation associated with purchasing of school materials, uniforms, equipment, etc.
- Work with Director of Operations to track school expenses against annual budget and forecast future spending needs
- Maximize resources by negotiating and diligently researching pricing on school purchases
- Create and oversee detailed inventory systems to ensure the school always has the materials necessary to function without downtime
Facilities and Technology
- Relentlessly oversee and maintain the school’s physical condition
- Ensure that all spaces are neat, organized, beautiful and optimized for their designated use
- Work closely and seamlessly with the school’s custodial team
- Maintain all classroom and shared-space technology (projectors, copiers, etc.) to make teaching better and easier for all staff
- Oversee school nutrition program, including coordination and distribution of breakfast, lunch and snack as well as all compliance and reporting requirements
- Assist teammates in planning and executing all student and family events, including family conferences, field trips, etc.
- Manage shared space reservation and calendars
- Help execute arrival, lunch, dismissal, transportation and other whole-school systems (specific duties will vary by campus)
- Create and maintain teacher-friendly systems for photocopy and poster creation
- Create a welcome main office environment for families by providing top notch customer service
- Supper student needs as necessary including health needs
- Serve as the primary point of contact for staff and student technology support including reservations, maintenance, and troubleshooting
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Additional support at the request of the Director of Operations
- Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
- As a regular full time employee of Coney Island Prep School, you will be eligible for benefits that include medical, dental and vision, as well as a generous retirement benefit package.
- Staff members are provided with laptops and access to all the necessary technology and resources needed to succeed in their work.
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, citizenship or disability.