Coney Island Prep, Operations Coordinator (2018-2019) (Brooklyn, NY)
Date published: 11-Apr-2018
Coney Island Prep is a college preparatory public charter school in Brooklyn, New York. Merging growth, performance and commitment, the Coney Island Prep community takes its responsibility to prepare students for the college and career of their choice very seriously. Professionals balance their sense of ownership and responsibility with humility and levity and are supported every step of the way.
Coney Island Prep currently serves over 1,000 scholars across its three schools, including 300 scholars in kindergarten – fourth grade at the elementary school; 360 scholars in fifth – eighth grades at the middle school; and 350 scholars in ninth-twelfth grade at the high school. The mission of Coney Island Prep is to prepare every student to succeed in the college and career of their choice. We achieve success through a rigorous academic program in a supportive and structured school community.
There is no more urgent task than to educate students from low-income backgrounds. So we hire professionals who are committed to the core. It’s high-energy, fast-paced, tiring and sometimes all-consuming. But we wouldn’t have it any other way. And neither would you. You own your work and when you reach your goals, you reach higher. Our leaders work incredibly hard, and are inspired by the urgency of what we do. We need leaders who aren’t afraid to ask for help, feedback, and support. They’re driven by personal responsibility, data, and results, and they’re not above doing whatever’s asked. They make friends at work, smile through hectic days, and add a little levity in along the way.
The mission of the school’s Operations Team is to make teaching better and easier by directly supporting the academic program. The Operations Coordinator (OC) position is integral to the success of this mission, as they will ensure our staff and our scholars have everything they need to be successful and that information is passed effortlessly and seamlessly between scholars, parents and staff.
The OC will implement and manage clear systems, revising them as necessary or needed, so that Coney Island Prep runs smoothly on a day-to-day basis. He or she will be the first point of contact for all students, families and visitors to Coney Island Prep and will play a key role in scholar and family engagement -- particularly as it relates to school attendance. The OC will work tirelessly to ensure compliance around all student data and files and will help coordinate and communicate the initiatives of the Operations Team at large. The OC will be hired by and report to the Director of Operations.
Qualifications and Experience
- Professional demeanor, relentless work-ethic, and impeccable organizational skills
- Willingness to take on physical and sometimes menial tasks necessary for the greater good
- Flexible and open to being interrupted and getting back on task in a highly reactive role
- Interpersonal skills to foster excellent relationships with families, scholars and staff
- Passionate dedication to Coney Island Prep’s mission, with a steadfast belief that all students deserve preparation for the college and career of their choice
- Detail and solutions-oriented mindset
- An entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work
- Ability to prioritize appropriately, with a demonstrated ability to distinguish between the urgent and the important
- Moderate to strong experience with Excel
- Bachelor’s degree
- Spanish, Cantonese, or Russian proficiency strongly recommended
Responsibilities (Includes, but not limited to)
Scholar and Family Communication
- Create a welcome main office environment for families by providing top notch customer service
- Seamlessly and professionally handle all incoming and outgoing communication between scholars, families and staff (including mailings, letters home, phone calls, emails, etc.)
- Serve as the primary point of contact for the school on all phone communication including, but not limited to, answering the phones and taking messages
- Generate content and prepare weekly parent newsletter
- Work with the Director of Operations to maximize daily attendance and minimize tardies
- Maintain the main office workspace for aesthetics and function, including the inventorying and organization of supplies/materials, scholar concerns and visitor systems
- Manage after-school scholar activities (consequences, sports, enrichment) including roster creation, family communication, room usage and necessary permission slips.
Enrollment and Student Data
- Maintain and update student files for current and accurate academic, family contact, health, parental permission and all other documentation.
- Ensure all student information systems, specifically Illuminate and ATS are accurate and updated with current student data
- Coordinate summer and mid-year enrollment by managing the school’s waitlist and enrolling new scholars as soon as seats become available
- Support student needs as necessary including health needs
- Assist teammates in planning and executing all student and family events, including family conferences, field trips, etc.
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Help oversee arrival, lunch, dismissal, transportation and other whole-school systems (specific duties will vary by campus)
- Additional support at the request of the Director of Operations
- Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
- As a regular full time employee of Coney Island Prep School, you will be eligible for benefits that include medical, dental and vision, as well as a generous retirement benefit package.
- Staff members are provided with laptops and access to all the necessary technology and resources needed to succeed in their work.
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, citizenship or disability.