Coney Island Prep, Middle School Special Education Teacher (2018-2019) (Brooklyn, NY)
Date published: 14-Dec-2017
Coney Island Prep is a college preparatory public charter school in Brooklyn, New York. Merging growth, performance and commitment, the Coney Island Prep community takes its responsibility to prepare students for the college and career of their choice very seriously. Professionals balance their sense of ownership and responsibility with humility and levity and are supported every step of the way.
Coney Island Prep currently serves over 1,000 scholars across its three schools, including 300 scholars in kindergarten – fourth grade at the elementary school; 360 scholars in fifth – eighth grades at the middle school; and 350 scholars in ninth-twelfth grade at the high school. Coney Island Prep Middle School scholars experience a rich, college preparatory curriculum in English language arts, math, science, history, visual arts, and physical education. Scholars also engage in regular social-emotional development through our advisory and community workshop structures.
The mission of Coney Island Prep is to prepare every student to succeed in the college and career of their choice. We achieve success through a rigorous academic program in a supportive and structured school community.
There is no more urgent task than to educate students from low-income backgrounds. So we hire professionals who are committed to the core. It’s high-energy, fast-paced, tiring and sometimes all-consuming. But we wouldn’t have it any other way. And neither would you. You own your work and when you reach your goals, you reach higher. Our educators work incredibly hard, and are inspired by the urgency of what we do. We need teachers who aren’t afraid to ask for help, feedback, and support. They’re driven by personal responsibility, data, and results, and they’re not above doing whatever’s asked. They make friends at work, smile through hectic days, and add a little levity in along the way.
What We Have to Offer
There are plenty of ways you can make an impact. And our team is all in. You have the opportunity to work with students, and there’s always someone who’s got your back from coaching you through a bad day to helping you grow professionally. And while the environment can be hectic and ever-changing, you’ll have all of the technology and caffeine you need to get the job done.
What We Ask In Return
You have to be all in too. You own your work and when you reach your goals, you reach higher. Our professionals work incredibly hard, and are inspired by the urgency of what we do. We need professionals who aren’t afraid to ask for help, feedback, and support. They’re driven by personal responsibility, data, and results, and they’re not above doing whatever’s asked. They make friends at work, smile through hectic days, and add a little levity in along the way.
Mindsets and Experience
- Passion for education and a dedication to Coney Island Prep’s mission
- Steadfast belief that all students can achieve at the highest academic levels and deserve an opportunity to succeed in the college of their choice
- Bachelors degree required; Masters degree and NY State certification preferred
- Professional demeanor and excellent organizational skills
- Self-reflective and open to regular feedback
- An entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work inherent in a start-up
- A positive, solution-oriented attitude and drive for excellence
- Willingness to be a team player
- Assume a high level of personal responsibility for the progress of all students
- Create academically rigorous lesson plans, materials, and assessments, and differentiate as needed
- Teach engaging, rigorous, and relevant lessons daily
- Communicate effectively with all stakeholders, including scholars, families, and staff
- Commit to a school culture of consistency by implementing school-wide systems, structures, and procedures
- Reflect on various data sources to improve your practice
- Take on a proactive role in creating a positive, structured, results-oriented and fun school culture
Coney Island Prep Middle School teachers teach one grade for about three and a half hours each day. This allows teachers to develop a smaller number of high quality lessons than if they were teaching multiple grades and subjects. In the remaining time, teachers have roughly three hours of time to prepare lessons, grade papers, and communicate with families. Teachers collaborate regularly to share in completing these responsibilities. Teachers also provide about ninety minutes of community contributions per day such as supervising lunch and dismissal.
Benefits and Compensation
- Teachers at Coney Island Prep are provided with a generous salary and are eligible for a school-wide performance-based bonus.
- As a regular full time employee of Coney Island Prep School, you will be eligible for benefits that include medical, dental and vision, as well as a generous retirement benefit package.
- Teachers are provided with laptops and access to all the necessary technology and resources needed to succeed in the classroom.
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, citizenship or disability.