Coney Island Prep, Academic Operations Manger (2018-2019) (Brooklyn, NY)
Date published: 11-Apr-2018
Coney Island Prep is a college preparatory public charter school in Brooklyn, New York. Merging growth, performance and commitment, the Coney Island Prep community takes its responsibility to prepare students for the college and career of their choice very seriously. Professionals balance their sense of ownership and responsibility with humility and levity and are supported every step of the way.
Coney Island Prep currently serves over 1,000 scholars across its three schools, including 300 scholars in kindergarten – fourth grade at the elementary school; 360 scholars in fifth – eighth grades at the middle school; and 350 scholars in ninth-twelfth grade at the high school. The mission of Coney Island Prep is to prepare every student to succeed in the college and career of their choice. We achieve success through a rigorous academic program in a supportive and structured school community.
There is no more urgent task than to educate students from low-income backgrounds. So we hire professionals who are committed to the core. It’s high-energy, fast-paced, tiring and sometimes all-consuming. But we wouldn’t have it any other way. And neither would you. You own your work and when you reach your goals, you reach higher. Our leaders work incredibly hard, and are inspired by the urgency of what we do. We need leaders who aren’t afraid to ask for help, feedback, and support. They’re driven by personal responsibility, data, and results, and they’re not above doing whatever’s asked. They make friends at work, smile through hectic days, and add a little levity in along the way.
The mission of the school’s Operations Team is to make teaching better and easier by directly supporting the academic program. The Academic Operations Manager (AOM) position is integral to the success of this mission, as they will directly interface with the Academic Leadership team and provide the best and most meaningful information with which to make programmatic decisions.
The AOM will implement and manage clear systems, revising them as necessary or needed, so that Coney Island Prep runs smoothly on a day-to-day basis. He or she will work to ensure all staff can focus on students rather than paperwork. He/She will oversee the academic reporting and data analysis necessary to support the highest level of academic achievement and will be primarily responsible for ensuring that programmatic guidelines for reporting and implementation are properly followed. The AOM will be hired by and report to the Director of Operations.
Qualifications and Experience
- Ability to analyze and report on academic data to support school leaders in making programmatic decisions
- Passionately dedicated to Coney Island Prep’s mission, with a steadfast belief that all students deserve preparation for the college and career of their choice
- Detail and solutions-oriented
- Professional demeanor, strong work-ethic, with excellent organizational skills
- Ambition and desire to develop as a leader
- An entrepreneurial spirit, who embraces the opportunity for creativity and hard work
- At least 2 years of operational/analytic work experience in a fast-paced, demanding work environment (charter school experience preferred).
- Strong experience with Excel
- The ability to differentiate between urgent and important
- Bachelor’s degree
- Spanish, Cantonese, or Russian proficiency a plus
Responsibilities (Includes, but not limited to)
Data Management and Compliance
- Oversee creation and distribution of all student, parent and staff-facing academic reports
- Coordinate, administer and ensure compliance of all internal and external testing
- Collaborate with and create weekly analytical reports for Principals, Vice Principals, Deans of Students, the Director of Data and other staff around academic and behavioral data
- Create ad hoc academic reports and/or data to support the Leadership Team
- Support the academic program by analyzing purchasing needs and ordering as necessary
Student and Staff Technology
- Oversee all student information systems to ensure academic school data is current and accurate
- Train and support all staff in using student information systems to make their work better and easier
- Help create daily schedules both for traditional and altered school days
- Create and distribute weekly staff newsletter
- Maintain student technology hardware and sign-out systems to ensure all staff have easy access to iPads, Chromebooks, etc. when needed
- Assist teammates in planning and executing all student and family events, including family conferences, field trips, etc.
- Help oversee arrival, lunch, dismissal, transportation and other whole-school systems (specific duties will vary by campus)
- Oversee classroom-based academic systems such as the library system
- Create a welcome main office environment for families by providing top notch customer service
- Support student needs as necessary including health needs
- Additional support at the request of the Director of Operations
- Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
- As a regular full time employee of Coney Island Prep School, you will be eligible for benefits that include medical, dental and vision, as well as a generous retirement benefit package.
- Staff members are provided with laptops and access to all the necessary technology and resources needed to succeed in their work.
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, citizenship or disability.