Excel Academy Charter Schools, Multi-Campus Associate Teacher (MCAT) (2018-2019) (Boston, MA)
Date published: 2-Nov-2018
Organization: Excel Academy Charter Schools
Job Title: Multi-Campus Associate Teacher (MCAT)
Campus/Location: Excel Academy High School
Excel Academy Charter Schools is a network of tuition-free, public charter schools serving the Massachusetts communities of East Boston and Chelsea. It was founded to address the severe academic underperformance and low college matriculation rates of the student populations in these neighborhoods. Our founders envisioned a free, public school alternative where all students would be held to the highest academic and behavioral expectations, and college would become a reality. As a true public school, Excel is defined not by whom we exclude but by whom we include in our community. We are proud of the fact that we serve many students with special needs.
The network’s first school opened in fall 2003 in East Boston and now serves 224 students, grades 5 through 8. Excel Academy Chelsea, the 2nd school in our network, opened in fall 2011. Our third school, Excel Academy Orient Heights, opened in August of 2012. And our first high school, Excel Academy Charter High School, opened in fall 2015. Excel now educates 1100+ students in grades 5-11. At full scale in 2019, Excel will enroll a total of 1,350 students in grades 5-12.
Excel teachers are responsible for delivering effective, high-quality, rigorous college-preparatory instruction designed to foster the success of their students. Teachers who thrive at Excel tend to be entrepreneurial instructors and hungry learners who crave frequent, high-quality feedback on their practice. They also have a great deal of passion and expertise in their content area that they are eager to share with students.
A Multi-Campus Associate Teacher (MCAT) will have a designated “home base” campus and will be allocated to specific long-term substitute roles over the course of the year, primarily to cover maternity leaves. This is a great opportunity for someone who is interested in serving as a lead teacher for interim periods at a high-performing school and receiving the coaching and professional development that comes with that experience.
Duties and Responsibilities
When assigned to a long-term substitute role, the MCAT will perform a variety of essential responsibilities, including (but not limited to):
- Teach a specific content area to two sections of middle school or high school students;
- Collaborate with department members to develop and refine curriculum; and
- Design and implement rigorous assessments that evaluate student mastery of academic standards.
When not assigned to a long-term substitute role, the MCAT can take on various responsibilities at the home base campus. These can include but are not limited to:
- Leading small-group / tutoring instruction;
- Serving as a co-teacher or support teacher in a course;
- Serving as a daily substitute teacher;
- Supervising students during non-instructional time (break, lunch, focus);
- Supporting in homeroom; and
- Providing operational support (i.e.., monitoring front office).
At all times, the MCAT will:
- Hold students accountable for high behavioral expectations and implement Excel’s behavior management system with consistency;
- Provide coverage as needed during non-instructional time;
- Serve as a productive member of the Excel Academy community; and
- Do whatever it takes to ensure the mission of the school is upheld.
· A Bachelor’s degree is required;
· A minimum of one year of teaching or tutoring experience in an urban public school or charter school setting is preferred, but not required;
· The ability to speak Spanish preferred but not required;
· A commitment to working with underserved, urban youth;
· An unwavering commitment to and belief in the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
· The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
· The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
· An entrepreneurial spirit that reflects an openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in developing new ideas & programs.
Excel provides a competitive compensation package that includes benefits and is commensurate with experience.
Would you like to apply to this job?
Please visitto learn more about working at Excel, and/or visit to view a current list of career opportunities and submit an application. Applications will be reviewed as they are received; candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Excel Academy Charter Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, proficiency in the English language or a foreign language or prior academic achievement.