Excel Academy Charter Schools, Middle School Associate Social Studies Teacher (2018-2019) (Boston, MA)
Date published: 9-Apr-2018
Excel Academy Charter Schools is a network of tuition-free, public charter schools serving the Massachusetts communities of East Boston and Chelsea. It was founded to address the severe academic underperformance and low college matriculation rates of the student populations in these neighborhoods. Our founders envisioned a free, public school alternative where all students would be held to the highest academic and behavioral expectations, and college would become a reality. As a true public school, Excel is defined not by whom we exclude but by whom we include in our community. We are proud of the fact that we serve many students with special needs.
The network’s first school opened in fall 2003 in East Boston and now serves 224 students, grades 5 through 8. Excel Academy Chelsea, the 2nd school in our network, opened in fall 2011. Our third school, Excel Academy Orient Heights, opened in August of 2012. And our first high school, Excel Academy Charter High School, opened in fall 2015. Excel now educates 1100+ students in grades 5-11. At full scale in 2019, Excel will enroll a total of 1,350 students in grades 5-12.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Associate Social Studies Teacher is a unique, full-time position that provides deep exposure to Excel’s Social Studies Department. Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
Serve as a co-teacher in the classroom of the Network Social Studies Department Head
- Develop and teach lessons with the Department Head with a gradual increase in teaching responsibilities as the school year progresses;
- Observe and provide in-class support;
- Actively engage in coaching opportunities with the Department Head;
- Provide coverage, as requested, for the Department Head.
- Check homework and enter homework data for the course;
- Grade student work, as requested;
Serve as a homeroom teacher
- Within a team of three teachers, plan and lead activities for a homeroom;
- Serve as an advisor for approximately nine students;
- Actively participate in Friday Grade Level Team meetings and contribute to Grade Level Team activities, assemblies, special events, etc.
Provide coverage and support
- Provide daily coverage for all non-instructional time blocks (breaks, lunch, DEAR, Focus);
- Lead an after-school activity until 5:00 pm four days per week (Monday – Thursday);
- Lead/co-lead a 90-minute enrichment class session on Fridays; and
- Substitute teach classes across 5th to 8th grade, primarily in Social Studies, but also across all subject areas, as assigned in the daily morning email.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; a major or minor in the subject area of choice is preferred;
- A minimum of one year teaching or tutoring experience in an urban public school or charter school setting is preferred, but not required;
- A commitment to working with underserved, urban youth;
- An unwavering commitment to and belief in the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
- An entrepreneurial spirit that reflects an openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in developing new ideas & programs.
Excel provides a competitive compensation package that includes benefits and is commensurate with experience.
Excel Academy Charter Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, proficiency in the English language or a foreign language or prior academic achievement.