Excel Academy Charter Schools, High School Building Substitute (2018-2019) (Boston, MA)
Date published: 2-Nov-2018
Organization: Excel Academy Charter Schools
Job Title: High School Building Substitute
Campus/Location: Excel Academy High School
Excel Academy Charter Schools is a network of tuition-free, public charter schools serving the Massachusetts communities of East Boston and Chelsea. It was founded to address the severe academic underperformance and low college matriculation rates of the student populations in these neighborhoods. Our founders envisioned a free, public school alternative where all students would be held to the highest academic and behavioral expectations, and college would become a reality. As a true public school, Excel is defined not by whom we exclude but by whom we include in our community. We are proud of the fact that we serve many students with special needs.
The network’s first school opened in fall 2003 in East Boston and now serves 224 students, grades 5 through 8. Excel Academy Chelsea, the 2nd school in our network, opened in fall 2011. Our third school, Excel Academy Orient Heights, opened in August of 2012. And our first high school, Excel Academy Charter High School, opened in fall 2015. Excel now educates 1100+ students in grades 5-11. At full scale in 2019, Excel will enroll a total of 1,350 students in grades 5-12.
Duties & Responsibilities
Building Subs gain a great deal of exposure to fundamental areas of teaching, including curriculum development and classroom management. They are eager to learn and actively seek out feedback in order to build their instructional skills. Like all Excel teachers, they are responsible for delivering effective, high-quality, rigorous college-preparatory instruction designed to foster the success of their students. This position will perform a variety of essential responsibilities, including (but not limited to):
- Provide regular coverage during instructional and non-instructional time;
- Supervise an after-school program (for example, Writer’s Workshop or Homework Club);
- Provide operational support as needed;
- Serve as an advisor to a cohort of students;
- Serve as a productive member of the Excel Academy community; and
- Do whatever it takes to ensure the mission of the school is upheld.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required;
- Some experience working in an urban public or charter school and/or with urban students preferred, but not required;
- The ability to speak Spanish preferred but not required;
- An unwavering commitment to and belief in the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
- A commitment to working with underserved, urban youth;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
- An entrepreneurial spirit that reflects an openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in developing new ideas & programs.
Excel provides a competitive compensation package that includes benefits and is commensurate with experience.
Would you like to apply to this job?
Please visitto learn more about working at Excel, and/or visit to view a current list of career opportunities and submit an application. Applications will be reviewed as they are received; candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Excel Academy Charter Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, proficiency in the English language or a foreign language or prior academic achievement.