Intrepid College Prep, High School Music Teacher (2018-2019) (Antioch, TN)
Date published: 14-Oct-2018
Intrepid College Prep is a growing network of free, open-enrollment, high-performing public charter schools committed to preparing scholars to excel in selective colleges, earn professional opportunities, and graduate as financially literate professionals and positive leaders. Our Blue Chip Team currently educates nearly 500 students across two schools – Opportunity Academy, serving students in grades 5-8 and Independence Academy, serving students in grades 9-10 in 2018-2019.
A pioneer in financial literacy education, Intrepid College Prep achieves remarkable academic growth for all scholars especially English Language Learners. In 2017, our scholars were #1 in ELL Achievement in Math, #1 in Hispanic Achievement in Math, and #1 in African-American Achievement in Math. Intrepid was also #1 in composite growth among all middle and high schools in Nashville and in the top 1% in the state for growth during the 2016-2017 school year. 96.7% of Intrepid’s Algebra I students demonstrated On-Track/Mastered performance during the 2016-2017 school year. Our work grows scholars academically, financially, and socially – providing the skill sets needed to be game changing leaders in every facet of the future. Intrepid alumni will transform college campuses and the work force, raising expectations for academic excellence, financial acumen and ethical leadership. .
Teach Music at Independence Academy
Music Teachers are passionate about supporting the school's classical mission and helping all students gain knowledge of music.
Music Teachers’ primary responsibilities are to:
• Provide instruction in music education to scholars in a way that maximizes learning.
• Maintain a “no-excuses,” highly ordered classroom culture where scholars demonstrate professionalism, rigor, initiative, discipline and endurance.
Under the supervision and direction of the School Leader, Music Teachers:
• Study, practice, and execute lessons that lead scholars to mastery of music content, using our rigorous curriculum.
• Maintain a lesson pace which both ensures comprehension and maximizes students' ability to engage in the activity.
• Organize musical equipment thoughtfully, developing classroom routines to manage materials efficiently with minimal lost activity time.
• Be proactive in matters relating to health and safety.
• Manage student behavior for an effective learning environment.
• Maintain accurate records of student information and assessment data.
• Work cooperatively and professionally with other staff, including attending team and staff meetings.
• Undertake other duties as required.
• Above all, our teachers care deeply about their scholars, who inspire them to achieve life’s greatest joy: doing good work well.
• Tennessee Certification in the appropriate content area, with track record of data-driven achievement is required by your start date.
Successful Music Teacher candidates possess the following characteristics:
• Intelligent, committed, gritty educators ready for challenge and the dogged pursuit of academic excellence.
• Dedication to educational success for students of color and low-income youth
• Demonstrated evidence of the ability to reflect and articulate the lessons learned from experience
• Experience with or demonstrated desire in leading Socratic Seminars and utilizing the Harkness Method
• Demonstrated ability to formulate higher-order, open-ended questions to lead students in scholarly conversation
• Demonstrated ability to articulate the criteria for exemplary student work
• Demonstrated ability to help students overcome conceptual difficulties in a specific content area
• Demonstrated evidence of excellent classroom management skills and ability to cultivate a rigorous classroom climate
• Minimum of two years teaching experience in an urban public school or charter school setting preferred, but not required.
• Highest commitment to improving curriculum and instruction through collaboration, best practices, regular assessment and data analysis
• Effective communication skills with students, parents, and colleagues
• Holds a B.A./B.S. degree with a minimum G.P.A. of 3.0
• Degree in subject area intended to teach (preferred)
• Speaks Spanish or has experience working with bilingual students (preferred)
• Belief in and alignment with Intrepid College Prep’s core beliefs and educational philosophy are nonnegotiable.
The position will begin immediately.
We offer a generous compensation package. .
Compensation is highly competitive; teachers are eligible to participate in the MNPS Retirement System.
All staff members are equipped with the tools needed to succeed, including a dedicated work space, laptop computer, email, high-speed internet access, and all necessary supplies
Commitment to Diversity Intrepid College Prep is an equal opportunity employer. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Note that this application screen does not require you to submit a video, although later stages of our process do so.