Alpha Public Schools, ELA Program Manager (2017-2018) (San Jose, CA)
San Jose, CA
Date published: 28-Jul-2017
Alpha Public Schools is a network of public charter schools serving the students of East San Jose. Alpha students, families and teachers collaborate to develop the 21st century academic skills and character strengths students need for success in school, college and career. Together we create self-reliant leaders committed to making positive change in the world.
Support a vibrant, growing organization dedicated to transforming public education for its students. Be responsible for supporting some of the most innovative charter schools on the West Coast. The Humanities Program Manager will provide leadership in the development, coordination, implementation, and support of curriculum, instruction, assessment, and professional development of Alpha’s ELA/Humanities Program across four school sites in East San Jose. The program manager will partner with the Senior Director of Academics, school leaders, and the academic team to provide the vision and support for Alpha’s ELA/Humanities Program, effectively communicate with others, have the entrepreneurial spirit required for a startup, and deeply believe in the no excuses/high expectations world of charter success. A growth mindset and strong mission alignment will be the defining characteristics of success.
Programmatic Vision & Development
- Set the vision for Alpha’s ELA/Humanities Program that match with Alpha’s desire to create consistently excellent and innovative schools
- Develop and articulate the non-negotiables of the Alpha ELA/Humanities instructional model and support alignment across schools with ELL best practices, while ensuring continued integration with Alpha’s mission and values
- Collaborate and support the organization's annual strategic plan and academic goals
- Work closely with the academic team, school leaders and their instructional leadership teams to assess the needs of their schools and their students through the analysis of implementation data and student outcomes
Curriculum Development and Support
- Design curriculum, new course offerings, scope and sequences across Alpha’s K-12 network of schools with a focus on ELL strategies/practices
- Ensure K-12 teachers, instructional coaches, and school administrators are familiar with changes and updates to the Common Core State Standards as well as best practices/strategies for reaching English Language Learners
- Assist with the acquisition of appropriate textbooks, teacher guides and other instructional materials and equipment across the network
- Assist with budget development for the ELA/Humanities program across all network schools
- Initiate and facilitate grant applications involving ELA/Humanities
- Develop a comprehensive five year plan for the network in English Language Arts and Humanities (K-12)
- Provide professional development to Alpha staff that supports Alpha’s ELA/Humanities and ELL model and strategies
- Develop language acquisition support structures/templates (ELL plans) for ELL students and work with teachers and school leaders to implement plans
- Collaborate with other program managers to provide an integrated program and ensure alignment across Alpha’s academic model
- Assists K through 12 teachers, instructional coaches, and school administrators with improving techniques of ELA/Humanities instruction and improving overall student achievement
- Participate in instructional walkthroughs to observe the implementation of the ELA/Humanities curriculum and instructional strategies that drives highly-personalized teaching and learning for all students
- Develop and facilitate professional development to Alpha staff that supports Alpha’s ELA/Humanities model
- Develop a ELA/Humanities playbook for each course across Alpha’s K-12 network of schools
- Manage the implementation of a variety of instructional techniques and teaching strategies to meet different aptitudes and interests of students, including whole group (co-teaching)/small-group or individual/personalized learning
Assessment and Data
- Establish, implement, and provide an ongoing monitoring system to document progress and growth for all students, including ELLs
- Lead and manage the compilation and maintenance of profile summaries (record of achievement and progress)
- Create and maintain interim assessments across all schools and grade levels to ensure alignment to SBAC and SAT
- Lead the scheduling, administration, data collection and analysis of the CELDT (California English Language Development Test) state assessment, SBAC state assessment, and interim assessments
- Establish and maintain communication with parents on the progress of the schools by supporting with English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC) meetings
- DRIVEN: Alpha staff members have a sustained commitment to the school and workplace that demonstrates persistence and drive to complete a job.
- ENTREPRENEURIAL: Alpha staff members demonstrate risk taking, innovation, self-confidence, and the ability to push oneself beyond one’s comfort zone.
- RELATIONSHIP BUILDER: Alpha staff members demonstrate how they have leveraged relationships to improve outcomes for students and will develop strong relationships with Alpha students, families, and staff
- FLEXIBLE: Alpha staff members adapt to meet the needs of the organization and a startup work environment
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- Stellar interpersonal and communications skills
- Excellent project and process management skills, writing skills and attention to detail
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to "manage by influence"
- BA (required), MA in Curriculum/Instruction (strongly preferred)
- 3-4+ years experience teaching ELA/Humanities and ELD standards to English Language Learners
- Authorization/certificate from CLAD (Crosscultural Language and Academic Development) and/or completed the CTEL (California Teachers of English Learners) examination (strongly preferred)
- Out of state candidates would need to transfer authorizations and credentials upon hire
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.
If you have any questions, reach out to the Recruitment Team at email@example.com.
POSITION: ELA/Humanities Program Manager
REPORTS TO: Senior Director of Academics
● Alpha Network Team
● School Leaders
LOCATION: San Jose, CA
Don’t see the job you are looking for? Can’t quite decide? Submit your resume for Network Talent General Interest. A Hiring Manager will reach out to you if you are a good match for an upcoming position at their school.General Interest, Apply Here!