Alpha Public Schools, Director of Growth Strategy (2016-2017) (San Jose, CA)
San Jose, CA
Date published: 11-Apr-2017
Alpha Public Schools is a network of public charter schools serving the students of East San Jose. Alpha students, families and teachers collaborate to develop the 21st century academic skills and character strengths students need for success in school, college and career. Together we create self-reliant leaders committed to making positive change in the world.
As part of our growth, Alpha is creating a new role within the organization and looking for a Director of Strategy to develop and deliver a comprehensive strategic and tactical plan aligned with Alpha’s goal to serve students in grades K-12.
The Director of Strategy will
be responsible for driving the strategic planning process throughout the year
ensuring that strategic opportunities are identified and explored, structuring
strategic initiatives, and providing a framework to develop and manage
Alpha is seeking an entrepreneurial person who will thrive in a dynamic startup environment. A growth mindset and strong mission alignment will be the defining characteristics of successful applicants.
- Lead and implement a strategic growth plan to deepen Alpha’s impact in the next 3-5 years
- Develop and deliver the strategy for Alpha’s growth plan and/or expansion plan
- Align the strategy with that of the organization and other departments and schools, seeking to maximize effectiveness through collaboration
- Provide strategic leadership and management, ensuring that the vision is not lost in the daily operations of the organization
- Review and analyze budgets and financial reports to see implications in the implementation and management of key projects. Collaborate heavily with our Director of Finance
- Work closely with the CEO and Director of External Affairs to pursue the fundraising goals of each new site and other growth targets
- Develop strategic plans for both internal and external-facing work, such as site development and relationship building with key stakeholders
- Track progress toward outcomes, consistently incorporating new information and engaging key stakeholders
- Engage the senior management team on strategic processes to generate buy-in
- Design with efficiency and efficacy in mind
- Create and implement the annual planning calendar and drive the annual planning process for the organization
- Conduct organizational assessments to identify strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities
- Effectively work with the Board of Directors, to achieve the organization’s mission, vision, and strategic plan by establishing clear benchmarks and monitoring and measuring progress
- Build and maintain critical relationships with diverse groups of stakeholders to inspire action and investment through effective communication and leadership
- Develop and maintain effective and appropriate engagement with diverse stakeholders including local charter authorizers/districts, regional charter networks, local leadership, community members and other private and public partners
- Represent and advocate for the organization at the local and State level including the California charter community, as needed
Current Site Growth & Support
- Manage key integration planning projects related to Alpha’s merger with Cornerstone
- Lead charter renewals and the establishment of new charter schools as determined by the senior management team & our Board of Directors
- Identify, problem solve, and manage pain points during internal growth phase
Note that in our fast-growing organization, specific functional responsibilities of the role may change depending on staff capacity and organizational need.
- DRIVEN: Alpha staff members have a sustained commitment to the school and workplace that demonstrates persistence and drive to complete a job.
- ENTREPRENEURIAL: Alpha staff members demonstrate risk taking, innovation, self-confidence, and the ability to push oneself beyond one’s comfort zone.
- RELATIONSHIP BUILDER: Alpha staff members demonstrate how they have leveraged relationships to improve outcomes for students and will develop strong relationships with Alpha students, families, and staff
- FLEXIBLE: Alpha staff members adapt to meet the needs of the organization and a startup work environment
- Outstanding business acumen
- Expertise in strategic planning and analytical thinking
- Ability to plan and think strategically, coupled with excellent execution skills and flexibility to work within a complex or ambiguous context
- Ability to exercise diplomacy, honesty, integrity, humor and tact
- Excellent project and process management skills, writing skills and attention to detail
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to "manage by influence"
- BA/BS (required), MBA or MA (a plus)
- 7+ years of work experience
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
We offer an excellent benefits package and competitive salary based on experience and qualifications.
Incomplete applications or those with errors will not be considered. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.
POSITION: Director of Strategy
REPORTS TO: CEO
- Executive Leadership Team
- Alpha Network Team
LOCATION: San Jose, CA
Don’t see the job you are looking for? Can’t quite decide? Submit your resume for Network Talent General Interest. A Hiring Manager will reach out to you if you are a good match for an upcoming position at their school.General Interest, Apply Here!