Alpha Public Schools, Communications & Marketing Manager (2016-2017) (San Jose, CA)
San Jose, CA
Date published: 11-Apr-2017
Alpha Public Schools is a network of public charter schools serving the students of East San Jose. Alpha’s mission is to provide children from high-poverty communities with an education that effectively develops the academic skills and character competencies to overcome the achievement gap and graduate from college.
The Communications & Marketing Manager will
drive key communication and marketing efforts as Alpha Public Schools continues
to grow. This person will implement and manage an effective and strategic
communications and marketing program for Alpha Public Schools that increases
public awareness and support of Alpha’s programs and services and enhances the
image of Alpha.
Alpha is seeking an entrepreneurial person who will thrive in a dynamic startup environment. A growth mindset and strong mission alignment will be the defining characteristics of successful applicants.
- Support and maintain a strategic communications and marketing program that will enhance Alpha’s image and position within the education space and the general public
- Identify key stories, messages, and initiatives to promote Alpha externally
- Collaborate with the senior leadership on crafting key internal communication
- Build on Alpha’s team activities by increasing and diversifying guest blogging efforts, public speaking, presentations, and panel participation
- Coordinate media interest in the organization and ensure regular contact with target media and appropriate response to media requests
- Plan and execute targeted communications campaigns
- Represent Alpha with local and national media opportunities
- With the collaboration of the CEO, create and send organizational updates to internal and external stakeholders
- Continue integration work due to merger by creating alignment between two brands merging into one
- Execute Alpha’s marketing and branding strategic plan
- Manage and grow Alpha’s social media presence
- Lead the generation of online content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action
- Oversee the revamp of Alpha’s website
- Coordinate webpage maintenance—ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly
- Work with staff to develop and implement strategies to improve organizational visibility and public relations activities
- Lead ongoing communication and management of Alpha’s brand
- Manage the development, maintenance and distribution of all print and electronic collateral and marketing materials for the network. Collaborate across the operations, recruitment and school based teams
- DRIVEN: Alpha staff members have a sustained commitment to the school and workplace that demonstrates persistence and drive to complete a job.
- ENTREPRENEURIAL: Alpha staff members demonstrate risk taking, innovation, self-confidence, and the ability to push oneself beyond one’s comfort zone.
- RELATIONSHIP BUILDER: Alpha staff members demonstrate how they have leveraged relationships to improve outcomes for students and will develop strong relationships with Alpha students, families, and staff
- FLEXIBLE: Alpha staff members adapt to meet the needs of the organization and a startup work environment
- Exercise diplomacy, honesty, integrity, humor and tact
- Strong understanding of digital media, including communications metrics and analytics
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- Stellar interpersonal and communications skills, including the ability to develop and strengthen internal and external relationships
- Excellent project and process management skills, writing skills and attention to detail
- Exceptional writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to "manage by influence"
- BA/BS (required)
- 4+ years of work experience
Note that in our fast-growing organization, specific functional responsibilities of the role may change depending on staff capacity and organizational need.
Incomplete applications or those with errors will not be considered. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.
POSITION: Communications & Marketing Manager
REPORTS TO: TBD
- Operations Team
- Recruitment Team
- Alpha Network Team
LOCATION: San Jose, CA
Don’t see the job you are looking for? Can’t quite decide? Submit your resume for Network Talent General Interest. A Hiring Manager will reach out to you if you are a good match for an upcoming position at their school.General Interest, Apply Here!