Alpha Public Schools, Assistant Principal (K-8) (2017-2018) (San Jose, CA)
San Jose, CA
Date published: 11-Apr-2017
Alpha Public Schools is a network of public charter schools serving the students of East San Jose. Alpha’s mission is to provide children from high- poverty communities with an education that effectively develops the academic skills and character competencies to overcome the achievement gap and graduate from college. Alpha Cindy Avitia High School opened in the fall of 2015 and we are building out one grade level each year.
Alpha is seeking entrepreneurial leaders who will thrive in a dynamic startup environment. Alpha is seeking a successful educator for the Assistant Principal role. The ideal candidate is a great teacher, knows how to lead others, has the entrepreneurial spirit required for a startup, and deeply believes in the no excuses/high expectations world of charter success. A growth mindset and strong mission alignment will be the defining characteristics of successful applicants.
Assistant Principals will receive professional development and hands-on leadership training. They will report directly to their respective school site Principal. An Alpha Assistant Principal will have high expectations for students, staff and self. They are willing to work hard and do whatever is necessary to ensure the success of every student, take risks, embrace change, be innovative, commit to continuous improvement, and learn from data and failures. Alpha school leaders will embrace and learn to foster a growth mindset in others, deliver constructive criticism, and collaborate as part of a team. These leaders will also possess strong character and a consistent track record of high performance that is results-oriented. Finally, Alpha’s leaders will hold a deep belief that all students can succeed in college.
Teacher Support & Coaching
- Coach and develop teachers by conducting observation cycles, real-time coaching, and providing support and resources aimed at increasing teacher effectiveness and leadership
- Lead and contribute to the design and implementation of teacher professional development sessions throughout the school year
- Use data to refine instructional leadership practice, inform instructional coaching, and drive progress towards academic standards
- Foster collaborative problem solving and open communication among staff
Student Achievement and Management
- Drive academic achievement for students and build a rigorous college prep environment
- Build strong relationships with students and their families
- Manage school-wide positive student culture and discipline (arrival, dismissal, lunch, student transitions, school wide events)
- Oversee the implementation of a rigorous and highly effective curriculum with the support of the Network Academic Team
- Work closely with colleagues to problem solve and to create a successful learning environment
- Assist in the successful execution of school wide testing with collaboration from the Network Academic Team
- Collaborate with Principal, Office Team and the Operations Team at the network to ensure all school based operations run smoothly
- Manage Teacher Residents and guide each cohort through the yearlong Professional Growth Plan
- Conduct performance evaluations and create development plans for all direct reports (Teacher Residents)
- Collaborate with Principal and Instructional Coaches during all school based staff evaluations
- Support in executing the Student Recruitment & Enrollment plan
- Collaborate with the Network Academic Team and Director of Special Education to ensure that teachers and students receive necessary support
- Collaborate with the Talent Team to manage the teacher credentialing process
- Manage self and others in a manner that creates a healthy, high-achieving environment where staff feel challenged, and also fully supported and valued
- Promote Alpha’s staff culture, mindsets and values
- Understand the assets and challenges our community faces
- Create a school community that fully involves parents in student achievement through various opportunities including home visits, regular community meetings, and parent/family meetings
- Manage the Parent Engagement Plan and support the parent group to execute annual plan
- Support a safe, fun and academically challenging school culture
- Reinforce the school-wide behavior management systems and expectations
- Build on the student core values and personalized leadership training in and outside of the classroom
- Hold all students to high expectations both academic and behavior
- LEADER: Alpha school leaders have 3+ years of teaching experiences, particularly in low-income schools. They should be able to identify increasing levels of responsibility and showcase exceptional student outcomes.
- DRIVEN: Alpha school leaders have a sustained commitment to the school and workplace that demonstrates persistence and drive to complete a job.
- ENTREPRENEURIAL: Alpha school leaders demonstrate risk taking, innovation, self-confidence, and the ability to push oneself beyond one’s comfort zone.
- RELATIONSHIP BUILDER: Alpha school leaders demonstrate how they have leveraged relationships to improve outcomes for students and will develop strong relationships with Alpha students, families, and staff.
- FLEXIBLE: Alpha school leaders adapt to meet the needs of students and a startup work environment.
- 3+ years of teaching experience
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Valid and current Teaching Credential (California or out of state)
- Conversational Spanish or Vietnamese a plus
- Competitive starting salaries
- Excellent medical benefits
- Travel stipend to visit other high-performing schools and attend conferences
- Targeted professional development on school leadership
- A safe, engaging, dynamic work environment
- A remarkably supportive staff and mission-driven organization
Incomplete applications or those with errors will not be considered. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.
If you have any questions, reach out to the Recruitment Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
POSITION: Assistant Principal, High School
REPORTS TO: Principal
Alpha Public Schools teachers, students, parents
Alpha office staff, School Leaders, Operations Team and Network Team
LOCATION: San Jose, CA
Don’t see the job you are looking for? Can’t quite decide? Submit your resume for Network Talent General Interest. A Hiring Manager will reach out to you if you are a good match for an upcoming position at their school.General Interest, Apply Here!