The Mission Preparatory School, a K-8, college-preparatory, tuition-free, public charter school in San Francisco’s Mission District, is accepting applications for Teaching Assistant positions for the 2017-18 school year.
The Mission Preparatory School equips K-8 students with the knowledge, skills, and strength of character needed to succeed in college and serve as leaders in their communities. Our commitment to college preparation is supported by a “whatever-it-takes” approach that maintains the highest expectations and accountability across the board, from leadership, to teachers, to students.
Mission Prep was founded by a diverse group of Bay Area leaders from a variety of sectors who share a commitment to expanding educational opportunity, particularly for children growing up in low-income communities who lack access to high-performing schools. Awarded a charter by the California State Board of Education in September 2010, Mission Prep opened with 50 Kindergarten students in August 2011, earned charter renewal from SFUSD in 2015, and continues to grow by one grade per year through 8th grade.
The Mission Preparatory School’s design is based on the core characteristics common to the highest-performing urban charter schools in the country. We integrate academic rigor, structured school and classroom environments, social-emotional learning principles, and individualized support to ensure college preparation and leadership development for all students. Mission Prep operates with an extended school day (7:40am-4:00pm), extended school year (190 days), and extensive professional development support for teachers, including 28 full days throughout the year and 2 hours every Wednesday afternoon.
On the California Smarter Balanced Assessments, Mission Prep students exceeded state and district averages in ELA and Math, making us the top-performing school for Latino students in San Francisco and earning a 10 (out of 10) Similar Schools rating. We are committed to continuing to improve our instructional program and educational practice in order to ensure Mission Prep students achieve ambitious academic goals and complete 8th grade prepared to access and succeed in college-preparatory high schools and higher education.
The Mission Preparatory School seeks Teaching Assistants who share our commitment to high expectations for every child and who will do all that it takes to put each Mission Prep student on the path to college. Everyone on our team works hard, works together, and takes ownership for the overall success of our students and school.
- Embody the mission and vision of Mission Prep
- Provide small-group and individual instruction under the direction and supervision of classroom teachers
- Supervise and support students during independent work and non-instructional times (snack, lunch, free play, etc.)
- Assist teachers and administrators with assessments, classroom technology, and preparing materials
- Maintain student performance data in school tracking systems
- Analyze and use data to inform and adjust instruction
- Teach and enforce school-wide systems, routines, and expectations
- Participate actively in professional development and professional learning communities
- Use feedback and observations to improve performance
- Complete administrative and operational duties in accordance with school needs and deadlines
- Participate in school-wide events, including community meetings, field trips, and other activities
- Bachelor’s degree
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
- Experience working with children in a school setting
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Strong organizational capacity
- Openness to feedback and commitment to developing continually as an educator
$35,000 - $40,000/year DOE + health and dental benefits + 403(b) matching