Democracy Prep, Teacher (New York, NY) (2016-2017)
New York, NY
Date published: 29-Jan-2016
About the Opportunity
Democracy Prep teachers are results-drive educators with experience in, and commitment to, standards-based curriculum and the use of data and assessments to drive instructional decisions. They have demonstrated quantifiable and objective student performance gains that surpass local averages and are proven managers of urban classrooms who have used discipline, structure, appropriate incentives, and high expectations to achieve measurable academic and civic success.
Who We’re Looking For
First and foremost, we’re looking for people who share our unwavering commitment to the Democracy Prep mission of college success and authentic civic engagement for our scholars. Beyond that, we want people who are hungry, humble, and smart. Our teachers are people with a passion for education and the drive to make real change in our system.
What does a Teacher do?
o Assume personal responsibility for the academic progress of all students.
o Implement a coherent, research-based curriculum.
o Document all syllabi, lesson plans, assignments, rubrics, and other instructional materials and methods.
o Use consistent school-wide practices and individualized methods to engage students in the classroom.
● Classroom Management
o Create, monitor, and sustain a disciplined school culture of high academic and behavioral standards.
o Provide structure in the classroom by developing and reinforcing school-wide rules and expectations.
o Ensure smooth operation of all classroom instructional functions without excuses or exceptions.
● Data Analysis
o Develop and use a variety of assessment data to refine curricula and instructional practice.
o Evaluate academic achievement through detailed data analysis of student performance.
● Student Support and School Culture
o Communicate effectively and maintain strong relationships with students, families, and colleagues.
o Develop and maintain positive, strong classroom culture.
● Results-driven educator with experience in, and commitment to, standards-based curriculum and the use of data and assessments to drive instructional decisions.
● Outstanding classroom teacher who has demonstrated quantifiable and objective student performance gains.
● Manager of an urban classroom who has used discipline, structure, appropriate incentives, and high expectations to achieve measurable academic and civic success.
● Desire to be held accountable for student academic growth and academic results.
● Proven ability to work collaboratively and flexibly with a diverse team of teachers.
● Technological proficiency with a basic understanding of data analysis.
● Professional demeanor, strong work-ethic, detail-driven work style with excellent organizational skills.
● Ambitious nature interested in growing as an educator and reaching high standards professionally.
● Committed to getting the job done well, no matter what the obstacles or how long it takes.
● Unwavering commitment to the mission and core values of Democracy Prep.
Required Education and Experience
● Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred
● At least two years of urban teaching experience preferred
● Certification in subject area preferred
Don’t see the job you are looking for? Can’t quite decide? Submit your resume for Network Talent General Interest. A Hiring Manager will reach out to you if you are a good match for an upcoming position at their school.General Interest, Apply Here!