RePublic Schools is a network of high-performing public charter schools based in Nashville, TN and Jackson, MS with a mission to reimagine public education in the South and prepare all of our scholars to graduate from college. In addition to providing a world-class traditional academic curriculum, we empower our students to be change-makers by teaching them to code – starting in the 5th grade.
Despite the fact that our scholars come from traditionally underserved communities (approximately 85% identify as low-income, and nearly 95% as students of color), we have seen them defy the odds to achieve outstanding results. RePublic’s schools have scored in the top 5% of all open-enrollment public schools across the state of Tennessee for both student growth and absolute achievement – making ours the first (and only) charter schools in state history to achieve this dual distinction.
At RePublic, we cultivate a cohesive community of families, staff, and scholars committed to doing whatever it takes to ensure our scholars succeed. We are looking for several dynamic, determined Deans of Community Life to work on various school teams in Nashville, TN for the 2017-2018 school year. Candidates must share our unwavering belief that all children can achieve at high levels and change the world. Sound like you?
What You’ll Do
Reporting to the school-based Director of Operations, RePublic’s Dean of Community Life will execute on all school operational priorities and ensure the success of all academic and cultural programming inside and outside the instructional day.
- Develop a strong school community and identity. Plan and own the execution of school-wide and off-site events, (including field trips, Family Nights, and New Student Orientations) and extra-curricular activities and clubs - and ensure attendance by school community members, families and staff.
- Increase agency and access for families. Produce high-quality written communication on the behalf of the school (family newsletters, flyers, school marketing materials, etc.); advocate for students and their parents; help provide access to multiple types of resources for our families.
- Spread the love. Become a relentless cheerleader for the work we do. Build deep relationships with students, families, and staff to foster a culture of joy and community. Go above and beyond to support and collaborate closely with teammates in the united pursuit of RePublic’s mission.
- Develop and oversee school operations. Support the school operations team to ensure seamless execution of all operational systems each day, including, but not limited to, food provision, transportation (arrival and dismissal), emergency plans, facility maintenance and upkeep, supply and asset inventory and maintenance (technology, books, classroom supplies, etc.).
- Manage student data and compliance. Lead the school operations team in student recruitment activities (with support of the network team) to ensure schools are fully enrolled; serve as resident expert on the student information system and ensure accuracy of this system; ensure accurate submission of student attendance; ensure school is adhering to all local/state compliance and reporting requirements.
- Provide school based academic support. Work with the school operations team to manage logistical elements of major student assessments; create and distribute make-up work to scholars who were absent; collect and track important school paperwork from scholars and teachers.
- Bring it. Have stamina and the ability to set and achieve ambitious goals, and handle the intensity required to bring your best self to an extended school day in a very high-performing school environment.
- Never stop growing. Offer and receive constructive feedback from colleagues in order to create a professional working atmosphere that aspires to excellence and is conducive to constant improvement; dive humbly into school-wide and individual professional development, including pre-service training over the summer and weekly sessions during the academic year.
- Sweat the small stuff. Develop, uphold, and implement RePublic’s values, policies, and systems to empower students to meet sky-high academic and behavioral expectations.
Who You Are
Our ideal Dean of Community Life will have an unwavering belief that our students can achieve at an exceptionally high level. Beyond that, a successful candidate will have:
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree
- A demonstrated ability to speak and write clearly, succinctly and persuasively - such that expectations are clear, timelines are delineated, and excellence is defined
- An ability to work in a self-directed manner, with a proven track record of meeting deadlines
- A spirit of fun and excitement—school should be a challenging and exciting place for our scholars to learn, build relationships, grow, and achieve
- A desire and ability to plan large-scale events that involve multiple stakeholders
- A passion for and keen attention to details, and organizational skills that are unparalleled
- Superior customer-service skills and a warm, welcoming persona
- A critical lens and acute awareness of actual and potential challenges, with a desire and ability to proactively address and prevent them
- A desire to learn, develop, and continuously improve each day
- Passionate belief in RePublic’s mission, values, and educational model.
Salary is competitive and commensurate based on experience. Compensation at RePublic includes a comprehensive benefits package.