Nashville Classical, Assistant Principal of Student Supports (2017-2018) (Nashville, TN)
Date published: 18-Apr-2017
The Assistant Principal of Student Supports works to lead and manage all items that do not fall under Nashville Classical’s core instructional program. Under the supervision of Nashville Classical’s Principal and in collaboration with our Executive Director, the AP of Student Supports leads the school’s Culture, Specials, and Exceptional Education programs. Other responsibilities include structural, budgetary, and personnel decisions that promote student achievement related to culture, specials, and exceptional education.
Importantly, this is a new position at Nashville Classical. As such, the role will require management of three to six team members and a variety of programs that may have previously been executed, but have not been codified as systems or coached towards excellence.
- Focus on scholars – our job is to improve minds and change lives
- Operate with Integrity - always do the right thing; try to do things right
- Be Resilient - grit, optimism and effort are adversity’s worst enemies
- Treat your position as Scholarship – seek to improve constantly
- Join the Team - Collaborate, communicate, and celebrate
In addition, the Assistant Principal of Student Supports should have experience in some of the following areas:
- Achieved measurable results working with an urban population
- Served as part of the School Leadership team or committee
- Led grade-wide or school-wide initiatives
- Managed adults or served as a peer leader
- Managed a classroom or students with exceptional skill and leadership
The AP of Student Supports’ responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Set a vision for classroom management and establish classroom and school-wide systems to support that vision.
- Lead professional development related to school culture and provide a useful framework to teachers and staff as they work to manage their classrooms with a combination of consistency and autonomy.
- Manage a Behavior Support Coordinator and support his/her efforts to communicate with scholars, families, and teachers.
- Manage and coach a Student Supports Director to provide direct support effectively to students, communicate effectively to teachers, and schedule effective interventions for the entire school.
- Communicate with a variety of external constituents and support the communication of the Student Supports Director – including external School Counselors, Speech Therapists, and School Psychologists
- Directly provide interventions to scholars, as necessary.
- Set a vision and schedule for the school’s specials program.
- Provide a framework for an effective year long Specials plan and outstanding instruction in Specials and Enrichment.
- Coach and manage 2-4 teachers and provide feedback on plans, assessment, and student data (including classroom observations).
- Collaborate across the school on a variety of Special Projects including Community Meetings, Family Nights, Field Trips, Student Tours, Enrollment, etc.
- Be present and engaged at least from 7:00 AM – 4:30 PM.
- Work periodic evenings and weekends, as needed.
- Work through Summer 2017 to plan Summer Training for teachers and orientation for scholars.
We offer a generous compensation package (including full benefits) and equip school staff with the tools needed to succeed, including a dedicated workspace, laptop computer, high-speed internet access, and pertinent office supplies. In this role, there will also be a behavior support phone that will be shared by administrators and primarily belong to the Behavior Support Coordinator.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Don’t see the job you are looking for? Can’t quite decide? Submit your resume for Network Talent General Interest. A Hiring Manager will reach out to you if you are a good match for an upcoming position at their school.General Interest, Apply Here!