Nashville Classical, Assistant Principal of Instruction (2017-2018) (Nashville, TN)
Date published: 18-Apr-2017
Nashville Classical Key School Leadership Traits
Fundamental: Belief in our scholars and our school model
Without this, nothing matters. Fundamentally, in their core, leaders must believe in our families’ right to choice, in our scholars’ ability to grow and achieve, and in our school’s commitment to offering a world-class, public education.
Trait 1: Pursues excellence
Trait 2: Growth mindset
Trait 3: Powered by joy
The API needs to believe they can cause dramatic improvement in the lives of our scholars and our community through our school’s rigorous academic program. The API is responsible for setting the highest bar for classroom performance and scholar outputs. We believe our school’s pursuit of excellence is key to what makes us special.
The API is a key educator in the building. They are in the building to teach adults to deliver outstanding instruction to scholars. They believe that effective learning leads adults to improve and see effective adult practice as a sacred duty. We believe that our emphasis on adult learning is a crucial part of what makes our school different.
Schools thrive on cultures of joy. The API helps to set the tone by showing genuine love of our, content, our community, and our school on a daily basis. The API exhibits a high level of energy about their team and scholars that is contagious and inspiring to the entire school community. Joy is a central, core element of our school and our constant pursuit of it depends on our leadership.
Outcomes achieved on school assessments including NWEA/MAP, STEP, and State Assessments.
Outcomes achieved on TNTP Insight Survey scores, rubric to rate delivery of PD sessions, and rubrics to evaluate academic content.
Outcomes related to student attrition and enrollment, staff EOY attrition and enrollment, family surveys, and the TNTP Inisght Survey.
- Focus on scholars – our job is to improve minds and change lives
- Operate with Integrity - always do the right thing; try to do things right
- Be Resilient - grit, optimism and effort are adversity’s worst enemies
- Treat your position as Scholarship – seek to improve constantly
- Join the Team - Collaborate, communicate, and celebrate
- Achieved measurable results working with an urban population.
- Experience planning multiple subjects and facilitating content at different elementary grade levels.
- Impeccable written, speaking, and organizational skills and the ability to engage a broad range of stakeholders.
- Completely owned school-wide initiatives.
- Managed or coached teachers to achieve outcomes with students
The Assistant Principal of Instruction’s duties include, but are not limited to:
Data Driven Instruction
- For each grade level lead a weekly data meeting that studies standard alignment, checks rigor, identifies gaps, and plans for reteaching.
- On a quarterly basis, look at interim and standardized data to schedule, plan and organize groups for strategic intervention.
- Monitor the effectiveness of interventions by closely tracking data and achievement of scholars as a whole and within subgroups.
- Observe classrooms on a weekly basis and identify a variety of quick fixes and high leverage action steps for teachers to implement.
- Participate in weekly leadership walkthroughs to identify trends across the school and ensure that all instruction is implemented with fidelity across and within grade levels.
- Connect teacher action steps and schoolwide gaps to the NCCS rubric, providing a big-picture vision of teacher development.
- Meet one-on-one with teachers on a weekly basis to review action steps, share quick fixes, and coordinate effective practice.
- Conduct follow-up observations to monitor implementation of action steps and observation feedback.
- Engage teachers in rigorous reflection on their practice according to the NCCS Rubric and help teachers set big-picture professional goals.
- Make decisions that lead a grade level execute procedures and routines with systematic fidelity, joy, rigor, and urgency.
- Set and reinforce norms for staff culture and build a culture that leads to high staff satisfaction, retention, and growth.
We offer a generous compensation package (including full benefits) and equip school staff with the tools needed to succeed, including a dedicated workspace, laptop computer, high-speed internet access, and pertinent office supplies.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Don’t see the job you are looking for? Can’t quite decide? Submit your resume for Network Talent General Interest. A Hiring Manager will reach out to you if you are a good match for an upcoming position at their school.General Interest, Apply Here!