Intrepid College Prep, Founding Dean of Culture (2017-2018) (Antioch, TN)
Date published: 30-Jan-2017
Intrepid College Prep is a growing network of public “no-excuses” college preparatory charter schools founded to address two interrelated achievement gaps – the academic achievement gap and intergenerational wealth gaps in the communities we serve.
Join the founding team of our flagship high school, Independence Academy, which educates students in grades 9-12 in the Antioch community. In the 2017-2018 school year, Independence Academy will educate 110 students in grade 9. Independence Academy will grow by one grade each year until we educate students in grades 9-12 in 2020. The launch of our high school model draws upon the successes of our flagship middle school, Opportunity Academy. Intrepid College Prep was recently named a 2015 Tennessee Reward School for Progress and we have received local recognition from Metro Nashville Public Schools as an Excelling School in every year we’ve had the honor and responsibility to educate students.
We make three commitments to every student – admission to selective colleges, preparedness to engage the world as a financially literate young professional, and the cultivation of positive leadership skills.
The work is demanding – it is a tremendous investment of time, energy and smarts but the return on investment is extraordinarily high.
The Dean of Culture works with the leadership team to build and sustain a high school culture for students and staff that supports high expectations, accountability, and a love for learning and achievement within our community. The Dean of Culture supports all team members and students in modeling our TEAM PRIDE Values – Transparency, Enthusiasm, Activism, Mindfulness, Professionalism, Rigor, Initiative, Discipline and Endurance. The Dean of Culture is tasked with creating rituals and systems that enhance an achievement-oriented, disciplined, and joyful culture to ensure the school’s TEAM PRIDE values are engrained throughout the entire school. During the 2016-2017 school year, the Dean of Culture works closely with teachers, students, and families to build the foundation for our high school culture. The Dean of Culture works collaboratively with the Principal to inspire, equip, and support a high expectations, high support culture.
- Create, lead, and support Intrepid College Prep’s character education program, behavior intervention program, and prepster success within those models.
- Work closely with the Principal and Dean of College Completion to establish a positive, disciplined, achievement-oriented, and joyful school culture.
- Support teachers to hold all students to high and consistent behavioral expectations
- Support students dealing with behavioral crisis-intervention and acute behavioral issues
- Act as a resource to teachers in their instructional practice, particularly with issues of discipline, relationship with students, classroom management, and school culture
- Develop and implement ambitious, rigorous, and standards-aligned curricula, lesson and unit plans, and activities to meet and exceed academic standards
- Support the creation and vision for a Prepster Culture Calendar that brings urgency, rigor, and joy to prepsters consistently throughout the year by designing school-wide events, inter-grade PRIDE competitions, and an emphasis on making PRIDE culture visible in our classrooms and shared spaces
- Provide engaging, differentiated, appropriately paced, and rigorous instruction in whole-class, small group, and individual settings
- Establish and maintain a culture of achievement in their classroom; uphold school-wide and class systems, rules and consequences, disciplinary codes, and rewards at all times
- Analyze student achievement data collaboratively with colleagues and Director of Academic Achievement to critically and strategically respond to the learning needs of students
- Implement school’s data tracking system and use data to inform instructional development and delivery
- Communicate effectively with students, families, and colleagues.
- Collaborate with other staff members and actively participate in training, professional development and learning activities
- Work to continuously improve effectiveness in all instructional practices.
- Use feedback to make productive changes in performance
- Complete all administrative requirements by given deadlines
- Be accountable for students’ mastery of academic standards
- Participate in additional activities including field trips, academic intervention sessions, and other required programs as needed throughout the year.
Independence Academy, an Intrepid College Prep school, has launched an urgent search for a committed, intelligent, hard-working Dean of Culture. We will consider candidates who:
- Embody Intrepid College Prep’s mission, vision, and PRIDE Values – Professionalism, Rigor, Initiative, Discipline, and Endurance
- Believe that there is not a more urgent task than providing an outstanding academic and character education to students from urban backgrounds
- Have a track record of producing dramatic, demonstrable student achievement gains or comparable results in their current field; preferably 2-3 years of data-driven teaching experience in an urban charter school
- Work well within a team of high-performers
- Are goal-driven, analytical problem solvers, and embody a can-do spirit and strong work ethic
- Promote continuous improvement by being open to feedback; are self-reflective and humble
- Dedicated to improving curriculum and instruction through collaboration, reflection, feedback, best practices, and regular assessment
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Communicate effectively with students, families, and colleagues
- TN State Teaching Certification preferred but not required
The position will begin in June 2017
We offer a generous compensation package. All staff members are equipped with the tools needed to succeed, including a dedicated work space, laptop computer, email, high-speed internet access, and all necessary supplies. Compensation is highly competitive; teachers are eligible to participate in the MNPS Retirement System.
Commitment to Diversity
Intrepid College Prep is an equal opportunity employer. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Please apply for ONE position only. We do not accept candidate applications to multiple positions.
Don’t see the job you are looking for? Can’t quite decide? Submit your resume for Network Talent General Interest. A Hiring Manager will reach out to you if you are a good match for an upcoming position at their school.General Interest, Apply Here!