Freedom Preparatory Academy, Elementary School Teachers (3rd-5th) (Memphis, TN)
Date published: 1-Sep-2015
Freedom Preparatory Academy Charter Schools (www.freedomprep.org) is a 6-12 charter school (currently serving grades 6-10) in Memphis, TN serving 646 students in Southwest Memphis. Our mission is to prepare all students in Grades K-12 to excel in college and in life. Freedom Preparatory Academy opened in 2009 with a class of 96 6th graders. In just four short years, Freedom Prep students have the highest composite growth scores in the State of TN. In fall of 2014, we opened our first elementary school with Grades K-3.
In the next 4 years, we plan to open 4 additional schools in the SW Memphis neighborhoods of Westwood and Whitehaven.
JOB TITLE: Elementary School Teacher (3rd 4th, 5th Grade)
ACCOUNTABILITY: Head of Elementary School
Freedom Preparatory Academy seeks Elementary School teachers for our 3rd 4th and 5th grade students. Teachers will teach subject specific areas (Math, Social Studies, Science, and English Language Arts). Each teacher will be responsible for their subject area and their respective standards. Teachers will work closely with other teachers to ensure cross curricula and thematic alignment of curriculum.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Freedom Preparatory Academy welcomes teachers who are relentless in their aim to see student growth and who want to hone their skills as effective teachers in the classroom. Below are some of the tasks required of teachers:
- Work an extended school day to allow for collaboration, professional development, and ample communication with parents and other staff members
- Embody the characteristics that the school wishes the students to uphold, especially respect, responsibility, integrity, excellence, and community
- Fosters children’s positive view of self.
- Reinforces respect for diversity of all kinds.
- Develops emergent curriculum that encourages children to explore, discover and construct knowledge through thinking, questioning and experimenting.
- Creates a smooth and relaxed transition between activities.
- Plans experiences for children that reflect constructivist and emergent principles of teaching and learning in literacy, math, and the arts.
- Document all syllabi, lesson plans, assignments, and other curricular materials
- Reinforce school-wide rules and expectations in the classroom and lesson planning
- Communicate effectively and maintain strong relationships with students, families and colleagues
- Maintain the school culture of high academic and behavioral expectations through continuous reflection
- Use detailed data analysis of student performance to inform best practices
- Supports children’s learning through play and discovery.
- Supports children’s learning through social, emotional, physical, and intellectual development.
- Complete other tasks as assigned by the Head of School or Assistant Head of School.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Master’s Degree preferred.
- Tennessee Professional Educator License preferred.
- Eligibility for Tennessee Professional Educator License required.
- Considered highly-qualified based on NCLB guidelines
- Two to four years of urban teaching and educational leadership experience is preferred
- Successful manager of an urban classroom who has used structure, incentives, and high expectations to drive student success
- Experienced classroom teacher with demonstrated, quantifiable and objective student performance gains that surpass state or local averages
- Ability to work with a variety of learning abilities, including those with low skill level in a heterogeneously grouped classroom setting
- Energy and entrepreneurial spirit for a transformation charter school
- Unwavering in pursuit of excellence even in the face of difficult opposition and challenges
- Results-driven educational leader with a commitment to standards-based curriculum and the use of data and assessments to drive instructional decisions
- Good problem-solving ability and good judgment
- Familiarity with cultural diversity
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff, families, and community members
- Ability to be creative, resourceful, and reflective
- Possess strong interpersonal skills
- Professional demeanor, strong work ethic, detail-driven work style with excellent organizational skills
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
An exceptional candidate will assume a full time; The position will remain open until filled.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
Freedom Preparatory Academy is actively seeking to build a diverse and experienced team of educators. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin. We are an equal opportunity employer.