Equitas Academy Charter Schools, Middle School Humanities Teacher (2018-2019) (Los Angeles, CA)
Los Angeles, CA
Date published: 2-Jan-2018
The mission of Equitas Academy Charter Schools is to provide a structured, achievement-based community that prepares students to graduate from four-year colleges and universities. Equitas Academy was founded in 2009 as a network of free public schools for families who believe their children deserve a high-quality education and challenging school experience. We currently serve over 1,200 students in Kinder-8th grade in two elementary schools and two middle schools. Equitas Academy is based in the Pico-Union neighborhood of Los Angeles, California.
High Expectations - Structured and disciplined classrooms, school-wide behavioral code of conduct, and school uniforms.
College Readiness - Extended school day and year, enrichment activities, and preparation to enter top-performing middle, high schools, and, ultimately, college.
A Family Partnership - Ongoing communication with parents about academic and behavioral progress, at-home visits by staff, and family workshops.
A Safe & Supportive School Community - We help our children make positive choices through our school values of curiosity, optimism, gratitude, grit, self-control, social intelligence, and zest.
What Makes Our teachers Equitastic?
- A willingness to work collaboratively with adults to deliver on our mission
- An ability to build strong relationships with scholars, staff, and families
- They thrive on reflective feedback with weekly coaching and observations
- Thoughtful intellectual preparation to deliver lessons based on rigorous curriculum
- Demonstrated perseverance in the face of adversity
- They don't give up on scholars and they maintain high expectations
- Warm/strict management with their scholars
- A belief that every adult is accountable for every scholar's success
- Demonstrated leadership through creative problem solving and initiative
- A belief in educating families about advocating for their child's' success
What Equitas Can Offer You?
- Consistent behavior management systems and a structured classroom environment
- School-wide student culture and alignment
- Consistent and individualized coaching for teachers
- Opportunities for improving our instructional and cultural model
- Competitive compensation, performance-based increases, and a strong benefits package
- A focus on transparency and communication
- A supportive, like-minded, and joyful professional community
- Rigorous Professional Development in the Summer and continuous weekly and differentiated PD throughout the school year
- Strong commitment to our Core Values for Professionals and for Scholars
You have what it takes if you have...
- A Bachelor's degree
- A current Multiple Subject or Single Subject teaching credential (internship is acceptable) or out of state equivalent required
- English Learner authorization
- A strong belief that all students can succeed
- Demonstrated experience and success working with students in traditionally underserved communities
Commitment to Diversity
Equitas Academy is actively seeking to build a diverse and experienced team of educators. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, disability, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin. We are an equal opportunity employer.
Please visit our website for more information at www.equitasacademy.org
Salary and benefits
We offer a competitive salary based on experience. Benefits include medical/dental/vision coverage and paid sick and vacation time off.