Equitas Academy Charter Schools, Director of Development (Los Angeles, CA)
Los Angeles, CA
Date published: 2-Jan-2018
The mission of Equitas Academy Charter Schools is to provide a structured, achievement-based community that prepares students to graduate from four-year colleges and universities. Equitas Academy consistently outperforms nearby schools, and has been recognized as a California Distinguished School and Gold Ribbon School by the California Department of Education because of our commitment to data-driven instruction and providing a rigorous and equitable education for all students. We currently serve over 1,200 students and operate two elementary schools and two middle schools in the Pico-Union neighborhood of Los Angeles, with a growth plan to open four additional schools and serve over 3000 students by 2022.
High Expectations. Structured and disciplined classrooms, school-wide behavioral code of conduct, and school uniforms
College Readiness. Extended school day and year, enrichment activities, and preparation to enter top-performing middle, high schools, and, ultimately, college
A Family Partnership. Ongoing communication with parents about academic and behavioral progress, at-home visits by staff, and family workshops
A Safe & Supportive School Community. We help our children make positive choices through our school values of curiosity, optimism, gratitude, grit, self-control, social intelligence, and zest.
To help us achieve our mission, we are seeking a Director of Development who will provide strategic leadership and planning for the development function and oversee all development activities, including major events, individual giving programs, corporate and foundation relations, and capital campaign.
- Develop relationships with and directly solicit current and potential funders and partners that lead to increased contributed revenue for the organization
- Be accountable for organization’s development goals
- Work closely with the Board of Directors and CEO to cultivate donor relationships and other partnerships leading to a more robust individual giving program
- Manage participation of CEO and Executive Team in development activities
- Work closely with CEO on developing and implementing a capital campaign for future school facilities
- Plan and evaluate financial needs and fundraising plans for the organization's future
- Develop budget in conjunction with the CEO and manage budget
- Manage the progress of the capital campaign, by developing and maintaining regular management reports. Recommend plans to address emergent gaps.
- Manage grants calendar and grant writing consultants
- Collaborate internally on special projects and provide leadership and strategic insight on cross-functional teams
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated success in developing and implementing effective fundraising strategies
- Proven track record of developing successful partnerships with other companies and organizations
- Extensive knowledge of the corporate and foundation community
- Experience managing a capital campaign
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to serve as an ambassador and spokesperson for the organization and articulate our mission to external constituents
- Strong strategic planning and project management skills
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office and database management
- Self-starter with a proven ability to meet and complete multiple tasks with solid deadlines
- Flexible, people-oriented team player who is committed to the mission of Equitas Academy
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor's degree required, Masters degree preffered
- Minimum 5-8 years of directly related experience, preferably in a development department of a non-profit or educational organization
Commitment to Diversity
Equitas Academy is actively seeking to build a diverse and experienced team of educators. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, disability, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin. We are an equal opportunity employer.