This is the 2018-19 General Teacher Application for Middle School and High School. This includes (but is not limited to) being considered for a non-SpEd Middle School or High School Teacher position. Subjects for this application include art, music, technology, and P.E.
NOTE: We also have separate online applications for our founding schools, Valor Academy Elementary School and Rise Kohyang High School. If you apply to this application, you may also be considered for the positions at our founding schools.
Bright Star Schools is a free, publicly funded and open enrollment non-profit organization with seven public charters in urban Los Angeles. Across all of our Bright Star sites, over 90% of our students are eligible for free and reduced lunch.
Our mission is to provide holistic, inclusive support for all students to achieve academic excellence and grow their unique talents so that they find joy in higher education, career, and life. Bright Star students will become leaders who act with integrity and champion equity to enrich our communities and the world. The framework to our success is our core operating principles, which are Integridad, Ubuntu, Kohyang (고향), and Growth.
At Bright Star, we’re committed to our educators’ success. We provide over 260 hours of differentiated professional development each year and offer numerous leadership opportunities to support our teachers to become experts in their craft. We also offer small class sizes, comprehensive teacher support, and numerous collaboration opportunities across the organization and within school sites.
Bright Star Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelors degree
- Single Subject or Multiple Subject CA Credential
- Candidates with an intern credential considered
- Two years of urban teaching experience preferred
- Bilingual Spanish or Korean desirable
- Possession of either Bilingual, Cross-Cultural, Language and Academic Development (BCLAD) certificate; Cross-Cultural, Language and Academic Development (CLAD) certificate; Bilingual Certificate of Competence (BCC); or Language Development Specialist (LDS) certificate desirable
- Belief that every child is deserving an excellent education which prepares him/her for college and life beyond
- Demonstrated ability to teach whole child in an inclusive setting using modifications and accommodations
- Willingness to receive feedback, engage in frequent dialogue and ability to self-reflect
- Life-long learner
- Belief in data-driven instruction
- Firm, kind approach to managing student behavior
- Technologically competent
- Entrepreneurial spirit and creative problem solver
- Sense of humor and love of teaching
Whole School Responsibilities
- Uphold Bright Star Schools mission and values
- Demonstrate genuine care for all students
- Embrace existing school-wide management systems and promote high standards of behavior
- Collaborate with school leaders, providing input to improve Bright Star programs
- Actively participate in professional development sessions
- Communicate professionally with peers, supervisors, parents, and students
- Commit to a longer school day and calendar year
- Adhere to Bright Stars professional attire guidelines
- Supervise bathroom breaks and participate in rotating detention supervision
- Uphold attendance procedures each period using School Information Systems (SIS)
- Enthusiastically participate in school-wide culture events (i.e., Songfest, academic assemblies, and Field Day)
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Adhere to Bright Star curriculum maps and guidelines
- Create weekly lesson plans/overviews
- Plan rigorous lessons aligned to the California State and/or California Common Core standards
- Differentiate lesson plans for a variety of learners (kinesthetic, gifted students, English Language Learners, and/or students with IEPs, etc.)
- Implement feedback from administrator regarding lesson plans and/or execution
- Establish and maintain positive classroom environment
- Implement Bright Stars Expected School Learning Results
- Support instruction with school-wide supplemental programs (i.e., Reading Counts/Study Island)
- Maintain grade books and meet reporting deadlines (i.e., OT/CU or progress reports)
- Communicate with families regarding student academics and behavior
- Collaborate with Special Education Team
- Use planning periods for the advancement of student academics
- Tutor students in need of remediation
- Lead enrichment activities and support Physical Education
- Perform other adjunct duties
Salary and Benefits:
Salary: BSS salary is based on experience and education. See here for the scale.
Status: Full Time
Start Date: An exceptional candidate will assume a full time role no later than August 2018. Teachers attend 3 weeks of required professional development prior to the academic school year starting.
Location: Los Angeles, CA or Panorama City, CA
Benefits: Health, dental, vision, STRS retirement matching, life insurance, short-term disability, optional 403b plan, sick and vacation paid time off, and holidays.
- No-Cost New Teacher Development Program for those with a preliminary teaching credential
- Instructional Leaders as Principals
- School Connectors to support with family engagement and communication