Bright Star Schools, Inclusive Specialist (Special Education) Teacher (2017-18) (Los Angeles, CA)
Los Angeles, CA
Date published: 4-Jan-2017
Bright Star Schools is a free, publicly funded and open enrollment non-profit organization with seven public charters in urban Los Angeles. Across all of our Bright Star sites, over 90% of our students are eligible for free and reduced lunch.
Bright Star students achieve academic excellence, accept responsibility for their futures, and embrace school as family. We offer students the opportunity to develop their unique talents and ambitions in a supportive, collaborative environment, so they are prepared for college and career, and to lead purposeful, fulfilling lives.
We are people-first as an organization, and we are students-first across all of our school sites. We are collaboratively working to prepare our scholars to be lifelong learners and leaders—to discover ways to create positive change for themselves, their families and their communities. All of our students participate in a program that features rigorous academics and rich life experiences, and the framework to our success is our core operating principles, which are high expectations, attention to detail, clearly defined standards of accountability, and continuous improvement.
Our educators join a family that is passionate and committed to developing all students to become well-rounded citizens. We make it a high priority to create a safe and inclusive environment for our students and staff and to cultivate leaders from within who are invested in Bright Star Schools’ mission.
We offer small class sizes, comprehensive teacher support, and numerous collaboration opportunities across the organization and within school sites. We strongly believe in teacher voice, and we work to increase teaching practice and effectiveness through our data-driven and feedback-derived professional development.
Bright Star Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- California Education Specialist Credential
- Candidates with an intern credential are also considered
- Two years of urban teaching experience preferred
- Bilingual Spanish or Korean desirable
- Possession of either Bilingual, Cross-Cultural, Language and Academic Development (BCLAD) certificate; Cross-Cultural, Language and Academic Development (CLAD) certificate; Bilingual Certificate of Competence (BCC); or Language Development Specialist (LDS) certificate desirable
- Belief that every child is deserving an excellent education which prepares him/her for college and life beyond
- Demonstrated ability to teach whole child in an inclusive setting using modifications and accommodations
- Willingness to receive feedback, engage in frequent dialogue and ability to self-reflect
- Life-long learner
- Belief in data-driven instruction
- Firm, kind approach to managing student behavior
- Technologically competent
- Entrepreneurial spirit and creative problem solver
- Sense of humor and love of teaching
Whole School Responsibilities
- Uphold Bright Star Schools’ mission and values
- Demonstrate genuine care for all students
- Embrace existing school-wide management systems and promote high standards of behavior
- Collaborate with school leaders, providing input to improve Bright Star programs
- Actively participate in professional development sessions
- Communicate professionally with peers, supervisors, parents, and students
- Participate in 20 BSS after school/evening activities: i.e., Parent conferences, overnight trips
- Commit to a longer school day and calendar year
- Adhere to Bright Star’s professional attire guidelines
- Supervise bathroom breaks and participate in rotating detention supervision
- Uphold attendance procedures each period using School Information Systems (SIS)
- Enthusiastically participate in school-wide culture events (i.e., Songfest, academic assemblies, and Field Day)
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Adhere to Bright Star curriculum maps and guidelines
- Create weekly lesson plans/overviews
- Plan rigorous lessons aligned to the California State and/or California Common Core standards
- Differentiate lesson plans for a variety of learners (kinesthetic, gifted students, English Language Learners, and/or students with IEPs, etc.)
- Implement feedback from administrator regarding lesson plans and/or execution
- Establish and maintain a positive classroom environment
- Implement Bright Star's Expected School Learning Results
- Support instruction with school-wide supplemental programs (i.e., Reading Counts/Study Island)
- Maintain grade books and meet reporting deadlines (i.e., OT/CU or progress reports)
- Communicate with families regarding student academics and behavior
- Collaborate with Special Education Team
- Use planning periods for the advancement of student academics
- Tutor students in need of remediation
- Perform other adjunct duties
Salary and Benefits:
Salary: BSS salary is based on experience and education, and was created in consideration of the longer school day and school year. Please click here for our salary scale.
Status: Full Time
Start Date: An exceptional candidate will assume a full time role no later than August 2017. Teachers attend 3 weeks of required professional development prior to the academic school year starting.
Location: Los Angeles, CA or Panorama City, CA
Benefits: Health, dental, vision, STRS retirement matching, life insurance, short-term disability, optional 403b plan, sick and vacation paid time off, and holidays.
- iPad or Android for Middle School Teachers
- No-Cost New Teacher Development Program for those with a preliminary teaching credential
- Instructional Leaders as Principals
- School Connectors to support with family engagement and communication
Don’t see the job you are looking for? Can’t quite decide? Submit your resume for Network Talent General Interest. A Hiring Manager will reach out to you if you are a good match for an upcoming position at their school.General Interest, Apply Here!