This position is located in Panorama City, CA for Valor Academy Middle School. We are seeking a 5th Grade Math Teacher for the 2018-19 school year.
At Bright Star Schools, students achieve academic excellence, accept responsibility for their futures, and embrace school as family. We offer students the opportunity to develop their unique talents and ambitions in a supportive, collaborative environment, so they are prepared for college and career, and to lead purposeful, fulfilling lives.
All five of our Bright Star Schools serve students in urban Los Angeles areas. Across all Bright Star schools over 85% of our students are enrolled in the National School Lunch Program the educational benchmark for poverty. Our goal is to empower students to break free from the cycle of educational and economic poverty. We prepare our scholars to be lifelong learners and leadersto discover ways to create positive change for themselves, their families and their communities. All of our students participate in a program that features rigorous academics and rich life experiences. Our students thrive academically and socially because our core operating principles, which include high expectations, attention to detail, clearly defined standards of accountability, and continuous improvement, provide a framework for success.
Bright Star Schools will comply with the California Charter Schools Act with respect to teacher certification. All certified teachers teaching core subjects, and uncertified teachers teaching non-core subjects, will comply with subject matter competency and all other requirements of the No Child Left Behind Act. Teachers will help develop and implement the curriculum. All teachers report to the Principal.
Bright Star Schools is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelors degree
- Single Subject CA Credential in Math
- Candidates with an intern credential considered
- Two years of urban teaching experience preferred
- Bilingual Spanish or Korean desirable
- Possession of either Bilingual, Cross-Cultural, Language and Academic Development (BCLAD) certificate; Cross-Cultural, Language and Academic Development (CLAD) certificate; Bilingual Certificate of Competence (BCC); or Language Development Specialist (LDS) certificate desirable
- Belief that every child is deserving an excellent education which prepares him/her for college and life beyond
- Demonstrated ability to teach whole child in an inclusive setting using modifications and accommodations
- Willingness to receive feedback, engage in frequent dialogue and ability to self-reflect
- Life-long learner
- Belief in data-driven instruction
- Firm, kind approach to managing student behavior
- Technologically competent
- Entrepreneurial spirit and creative problem solver
- Sense of humor and love of teaching
Whole School Responsibilities
- Uphold Bright Star Schools mission and values
- Demonstrate genuine care for all students
- Embrace existing school-wide management systems and promote high standards of behavior
- Collaborate with school leaders, providing input to improve Bright Star programs
- Actively participate in professional development sessions
- Communicate professionally with peers, supervisors, parents, and students
- Participate in 20 BSS after school/evening activities: i.e., Parent conferences, overnight trips
- Commit to a longer school day and calendar year
- Adhere to Bright Stars professional attire guidelines
- Supervise bathroom breaks and participate in rotating detention supervision
- Uphold attendance procedures each period using School Information Systems (SIS)
- Enthusiastically participate in school-wide culture events (i.e., Songfest, academic assemblies, and Field Day)
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Adhere to Bright Star curriculum maps and guidelines
- Create weekly lesson plans/overviews
- Plan rigorous lessons aligned to the California State and/or California Common Core standards
- Differentiate lesson plans for a variety of learners (kinesthetic, gifted students, English Language Learners, and/or students with IEPs, etc.)
- Implement feedback from administrator regarding lesson plans and/or execution
- Establish and maintain positive classroom environment
- Implement Bright Stars Expected School Learning Results
- Support instruction with school-wide supplemental programs (i.e., Reading Counts/Study Island)
- Maintain grade books and meet reporting deadlines (i.e., OT/CU or progress reports)
- Communicate with families regarding student academics and behavior
- Collaborate with Special Education Team
- Use planning periods for the advancement of student academics
- Tutor students in need of remediation
- Lead enrichment activities and support Physical Education
- Perform other adjunct duties
Salary and Benefits:
Salary: BSS salary is based on experience and education, and was created In consideration of the longer school day and school year. Bright Star Schools will honor up to 5 years on the LAUSD salary scale.
Status: Full Time
Start Date: An exceptional candidate will assume a full time role no later than August 2018.
Location: Panorama City, CA
Benefits: Health, dental, vision, STRS retirement matching, life insurance, short-term disability, optional 403b plan, sick and vacation paid time off, and holidays.
- No-Cost New Teacher Development Program for those with a preliminary teaching credential
- Instructional Leaders as Principals
- School Connectors to support with family engagement and communication