Republic Schools is a network of high-performing public charter schools based in Nashville, TN and Jackson, MS with a mission to reimagine public education in the South and prepare all of our scholars to graduate from college. In addition to providing a world-class traditional academic curriculum, we empower our students to be change-makers by teaching them to code – starting in the 5th grade.
Despite the fact that our scholars come from traditionally underserved communities (approximately 85% identify as low-income, and nearly 95% as students of color), we have seen them defy the odds to achieve outstanding results. RePublic’s schools have scored in the top 5% of all open-enrollment public schools across the state of Tennessee for both student growth and absolute achievement – making ours the first (and only) charter schools in state history to achieve this dual distinction.
At RePublic, we cultivate a cohesive community of families, staff, and scholars committed to doing whatever it takes to ensure our scholars succeed. RePublic made history in 2015 and opened Mississippi’s first charter school, Reimagine Prep. In August 2017, RePublic will again make history by opening Mississippi’s first charter elementary school, serving in its first year students in grades K and 1. We are looking for dynamic, determined Founding Principal to lock arms with our network team and community partners to launch a game-changing elementary school in Jackson, Mississippi.Candidates must share our unwavering belief that all children can achieve at high levels and change the world. Sound like you?
What You’ll Do
The Founding Principal at Smilow Collegiate will be charged with designing, creating, and launching Mississippi’s first charter elementary school. The Founding Principal will work closely with RePublic’s all-star network academic and operations team. What’s more, the Founding Principal will receive extensive internal and external training that, in past years, has included a partnership with the Relay Graduate School of Education and Building Excellent Schools.
- Participate in the best in class external training programs such as Building Excellent Schools designed to hone your lens and prepare you to lead.
- Research and design rigorous, Common-Core aligned curriculum that will dramatically accelerate the learning of all Smilow Collegiate students.
- Craft thoughtful culture systems that will teach our students critical non-cognitive skills.
- Create academic systems designed to ensure teachers drive academic outcomes by analyzing student work, responding to data, and differentiating instruction.
- Work with RePublic’s talent team to hire Smilow Collegiate’s founding team of teaching and leaders.
- Engage with prospective parents and community leaders about Smilow Collegiate and our mission.
- Develop strong relationships with parents and students, creating investment in school culture and academics.
- Continually improve the practice of teachers at the school through the RePublic teacher improvement cycle, daily observation, in-the-moment and written feedback, curriculum planning sessions, data meetings, and formal professional development.
- Ensure strong teacher execution of high quality curricula, including unit plans, lesson plans and assessments aligned to Common Core standards.
- Create and lead professional development sessions at the school (and potentially network level) on curriculum and pedagogy for leaders and teachers.
Who You Are
Our ideal Founding Principal shares our unwavering belief that our students can achieve at an exceptionally high level. Beyond that, a successful candidate will have:
- A bachelor’s degree (master’s degree preferred);
- At least 5 years of professional work experience in a school; prior experience in a school-based leadership or teacher coaching role strongly preferred;
- A demonstrated capacity in closing historic achievement gaps in a classroom setting;
- Uncanny attention to detail and a zealous commitment to organization and structure;
- A demonstrated ability to build trust and authentic relationships with others to enable collaboration;
- A deep respect and regard for the students and families that we serve;
- An ability to manage multiple priorities from a variety of sources, organizing and prioritizing effectively to impact areas of greatest need;
- A sense of humility in the face of both challenge and success; and
- A passionate belief in RePublic’s mission, values, and educational model.
Salary is competitive and commensurate based on experience. Compensation at RePublic includes a comprehensive benefits package.