United Schools Network, Elementary School Teaching Fellow (2017-2018) (Columbus, OH)
Date published: 3-Jan-2017
The United Schools Network (USN) is a nonprofit organization in Columbus, Ohio, that starts and manages urban public charter schools that close the achievement gap. The network includes two high-performing middle schools, a high-performing elementary school, and is launching a second elementary school in the fall of 2017. We are seeking an elementary school Teaching Fellow to join our network at United Preparatory Academy – State Street.
The United Schools Network prepares middle and elementary school students to achieve academic excellence and become citizens of integrity. High expectations for scholarship and behavior and an achievement-oriented school culture ensure all students are equipped to enter, succeed in, and graduate from the most demanding high schools and colleges.
- We hold high academic and behavioral expectations to ensure the growth of every student.
- We engage and grow competent and experienced school leadership and staff.
- We offer a rigorous academic program with intentional student supports and a comprehensive character education program.
- We provide clear standards, research-proven curriculum, and frequent assessment.
- We are a mission-driven school community.
The Teaching Fellow position provides a unique opportunity for talented individuals to explore the field of urban education and to gain hands-on practice and the training necessary to become a successful full-time classroom teacher. Teaching Fellows will have an opportunity to observe best practices in classroom instruction and education reform from experienced teachers and school leaders at a leading network of charter schools. Teaching Fellows observe and learn from experienced educators, co-teach with teacher-leaders, provide in-house substitute teaching coverage for teachers, and support teachers with tutoring, grading, and individual or small group student instruction.
Depending on school needs and candidate background, Teaching Fellows may teach their own class of students, allowing for direct teaching experience within a more limited teaching load. Teaching Fellows will also assist with a variety of work inside and outside of the classroom including teaching enrichment classes, organizing student events, and developing mentoring relationships with students. Through full participation in summer and school-year professional development, as well as regular meetings with school and teacher leaders, Teaching Fellows will have many opportunities to gain the experience and support necessary to develop their teaching skills. By the end of the year, Teaching Fellows will be strong candidates for full-time teaching positions within the network.
Major Performance Responsibilities and Duties:
- Teach classes on behalf of teacher-leaders who are observing other teachers.
- Provide substitute teaching coverage for teachers within the school.
- Periodically plan and deliver instruction, gradually taking on more responsibility throughout the year as assigned by the School Director.
- Support students by providing tutoring, intervention and homework assistance.
- Observe teacher leaders in order to improve instructional techniques and classroom management.
- Meet regularly with a coach to implement feedback on lessons and instruction.
- Assist teachers with instruction, assessments, grading, and other classroom responsibilities.
As appropriate, perform all duties expected of classroom teachers, including but not limited to:
- Implement curricula and activities to meet academic standards.
- Design and implement assessments that measure progress towards academic standards.
- Use assessment data to refine curriculum and inform instructional practices.
- Participate in collaborative curriculum development, grade-level activities, and school-wide functions, events, and trips.
- Provide consistent rewards and/or consequences for student behavior.
- Serve as an advisor to a group of students.
- Help co-lead advisory/homeroom in the morning and afternoon.
- Supervise students during transitions, breaks, breakfast, lunch, recess, and afterschool.
- Participate in summer and school-year professional development.
Joining Our Team
United Preparatory Academy will consider hiring a full-time Teaching Fellow who:
- Is dedicated to educational success for urban students.
- Is committed to using data-driven instructional practices and the techniques outlined in Teach Like a Champion 2.0 to improve student outcomes.
- Is relentless in writing and refining curriculum, lessons, and assessments.
- Is open and committed to implementing frequent feedback from lead teachers and school leaders.
- Communicates effectively with students, parents, and colleagues.
- Holds a B.A./B.S. degree.
- Has the ability to secure the appropriate teaching license.
- Prior experience working in urban schools and/or communities (preferred).
Terms of Employment
This is a paid teaching fellowship including comprehensive health benefits that will begin on July 24, 2017. Teaching Fellows are eligible to participate in Ohio’s State Teacher Retirement System. United Preparatory Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Don’t see the job you are looking for? Can’t quite decide? Submit your resume for Network Talent General Interest. A Hiring Manager will reach out to you if you are a good match for an upcoming position at their school.General Interest, Apply Here!