United Schools Network, Development Director (2017-2018) (Columbus, OH)
Date published: 26-Jul-2017
United Schools Network (USN) is a nonprofit organization that starts and manages urban charter public schools that close the achievement gap and prepare low-income students to graduate from college. The Development Director is a full-time leadership position designed to develop and steward key relationships with the constituencies and agencies that provide revenue support for the schools within the USN portfolio of schools. The Development Director spearheads all fundraising and volunteer initiatives as USN continues to grow. The Director will coordinate closely with the External Relations Director to ensure communications are aligned with resource development priorities. The Director works closely with all USN staff, School Directors and USN boards; oversees and evaluates the Major Gifts Manager, Development Coordinator, Stewardship Associate, and Development Intern(s). The Development Director reports regularly to and is evaluated by the CEO.
United Schools Network prepares all students to achieve academic excellence and become citizens of integrity. High expectations for scholarship and behavior and an achievement-oriented school culture ensure all students are equipped to enter, succeed in, and graduate from the most demanding high schools and colleges.
- All students have the ability to achieve academic excellence.
- All students thrive in a highly disciplined school environment.
- All students must be prepared to excel in demanding high schools on their way to selective colleges.
- All students deserve outstanding teachers that produce outstanding results.
Major Performance Responsibilities and Duties
- The Director develops the Annual Development Plan – including strategies and goals for both USN and schools – in cooperation with the board’s Development Committee, CEO, and development team.
- Together with the CEO and financial services provider, creates the development team budget.
- Oversees the development team including the team’s hiring, professional development, job satisfaction and regular evaluation, in accordance to the development team mission and core values.
- Plays a lead role in coordinating information for financial audits; ensures development team compliance with established financial controls and improves them over time.
- Responsible for reporting results to CEO and boards in timely manner and as requested.
- Manages the effective communication with and functioning of the board development committee.
- Develops and leads all annual and capital fundraising strategies and activities and is responsible for reaching income goals outlined in the annual development plan.
- Oversees the development and execution of the major gifts initiative, including refining the research and qualification process and preparing network solicitors for donor meetings.
- Maintains a portfolio of major and capital donors.
- Ensures schools receive funds raised for school initiatives and that donor intentions are fulfilled.
- In conjunction with ad hoc Special Events Task Force and development staff, leads the development and execution of meaningful events with the right ROI including: galas, grant activity celebrations, breakfast tours, in-home fundraisers and meaningful donor stewardship volunteer opportunities.
- Leads and improves USN volunteer programs for operational sustainability in schools, with a goal to increase participation and conversion into donors.
- Oversees the Development Team’s grant process including research, writing, submission, tracking and reporting; oversees the update of the grant calendar and protocol annually.
- Develops written proposals for major, capital, and start-up grants and with editing authority for grants written by other Development staff.
- With the External Relations Director, coordinates the development team’s participation in the execution of written and digital content, including social media, to share USN’s priority messages.
- Demonstrates the mission and goals of USN by establishing connections in the community.
- Leads internal efforts to create a culture of philanthropy within the USN portfolio.
Other duties as assigned by the CEO.
- This description is representative of the position requirements and is not intended to be all-inclusive.
Joining Our Team
United Schools Network will consider hiring a full time Development Director with the following characteristics and qualifications:
- Demonstrated personal commitment to and enthusiasm for USN’s mission and financial success.
- Results-driven business leader with experience in, and commitment to, development excellence and the use of data and assessments to drive strategic fundraising decisions.
- Bachelor’s degree required and 5-8 years of experience in non-profit development (preferred).
- Strong leadership, partnership-building, project and program budgeting and event-planning skills.
- Capacity to work well in a team environment or independently, and to adapt to a rapidly changing environment.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills: ability to interact effectively with community leaders, board members, prospects, donors, and a variety of volunteers.
- Openness to feedback, a willingness to take personal responsibility for the affairs of the network, and the ability to learn from one’s mistakes.
- Excellent technical and persuasive writer.
- Personal and professional integrity with willingness to abide by the Donor Bill of Rights, the AFP code of Ethics, and the Development Team Vision, Mission, and Core Values.
- Technological proficiency in Google, Microsoft Office, especially Word, Excel, and Publisher.
Resumes for this position will be considered immediately and will remain posted until filled. Compensation and benefits are competitive; this position is eligible to participate in Ohio’s State Employees Retirement System or State Teacher Retirement System. United Schools Network is an equal opportunity employer.
Reports to: CEO
Don’t see the job you are looking for? Can’t quite decide? Submit your resume for Network Talent General Interest. A Hiring Manager will reach out to you if you are a good match for an upcoming position at their school.General Interest, Apply Here!