Joining Breakthrough Schools is a rewarding experience where you will work on a staff dedicated to making an impact on the lives of Cleveland students. Our Preparatory model (K-8) has motivating school wide routines that create a culture where scholars believe they will succeed. Every school leader, teacher, student and staff member commits to giving 100% in everything they do and focus on putting students on a path to college.
We believe that the quality of our schools is inextricably linked to the quality of our school leadership. We work to develop well-prepared leaders, who have exceptional leadership skills and know what it takes to run a school so that every day, children are getting what they deserve. The Breakthrough School Leader Residency seeks to ensure that every Breakthrough school, staff member, and student gains value from such effective school leadership as we open new schools and maintain the continued strength of our existing schools.
This residency experienced its pilot year in the 2014-2015 school year. Though out of its pilot year, it will continue to consist of many entrepreneurial approaches to leadership development. It will continue to network best practices from in and outside of Breakthrough, and will have multiple points for active refinement for the current and future years of the program.
We know great development and progress “takes a village.” Our residents’ growth is no exception. We believe the coordinated efforts and training between each resident’s Model and Breakthrough Support Team is key to this. Residents will have three camps of staff members supporting them. First, he/she will be managed and led by his/her respective Model’s leadership. Second, he/she will receive the benefit of the breadth of expertise and insight of staff members across our Models, schools, and Breakthrough Support Team, according to the resident’s specific needs and growth. Third, residents will also have his/her leadership development, specifically, monitored and coached through a one-on-one relationship with a leadership coach.
The residency consists of a one-year, full-time assignment (flexible, with consideration to developmental needs) and is intended to prepare the participant for school leadership the following year. During the yearlong assignment the resident is immersed in the daily activities associated with school leadership, under supervision, including coaching and developing teachers, taking on various leadership responsibilities, engaging with families, etc. Additionally, the resident will take on projects in order to meet the various needs of their school assignment and/or Model.
The resident is also required to take ownership over his/her own leadership development by:
- Participating in the monitoring of his/her growth in leadership knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Fully engaging in specific, differentiated professional learning experiences and coaching designed for the residency
- Taking on a progressive release of responsibility
- Maintaining flexibility and actively supporting the growth and evolution of this program
- Applying for a school leadership position for the following year
Residents will grow in everything ranging from high level leadership skills, to the distinctions and culture of his/her educational Model, to the fundamental details of day-to-day school operation. To this end, he/she will engage in multiple professional development sessions and mediums, supported and led by his/her Model and the Breakthrough Support Team. This can include: external trainings and partnerships; on-site professional development sessions and observations; online resources; rotations of all portions of the organization and our daily functioning; and coaching and development from existing Model and school leadership, a leadership coach, and other network leaders.
The emphasis of training is on the intentional practice of leadership skills and applying the new knowledge, with deliberate feedback to ensure mastery of various leadership knowledge, skills, and mindsets. Such mastery will be monitored through a 1-on-1 relationship with a leadership coach. This way, in addition to the management, exposure, and day-to-day activities within your school site, there is a central focus on your progress and development as a leader.
Throughout the residency, the Model will individualize the training and support to best meet the needs and goals of both the resident and the school. Furthermore, though there are many people and resources supporting the development of the resident, the evaluation and managerial relationship will reside between the resident and Model leadership.
Our residency offers a unique opportunity which cannot be replicated through traditional administrative preparation programs: hands-on training at our own high performing charter schools with 1-on-1 attention devoted to your professional growth into a school leader. The selected resident will be fully immersed in all aspects of school functions and management, and this can include: the ongoing opportunity to shadow other principals and school leaders; observing teachers and providing feedback; attending board meetings; presenting to parents; providing professional development; engaging with the various operations and support functions to our schools; and leading various school enhancement projects.
School Leader Cohort
Our small cohort of growing school leaders from our various Models will meet regularly as a professional learning community to collaborate with other resident school leaders to receive advice, support, and training in preparation for improving upon Breakthrough’s track record of achieving outstanding results for children.
Applying for the Residency:
Desired Skills, Experience, and Qualifications
We are seeking a results-driven leader committed to the mission of the Preps Model as well as Breakthrough Schools’ mission, high expectations and his or her own professional growth.
- A commitment to complete the entire residency year and lead the school through the 2018-2019 school year
- (If internal) A minimum Summative Evaluation rating of Skilled or higher for the 2016-2017 school year
- Bachelor’s Degree and Teaching Credential (Masters preferred)
- Three years or more teaching experience (Urban setting preferred; Five years preferred)
- Regular reflectiveness and receptiveness to feedback
- Belief that each and every child can excel academically
- Belief that great teachers lie at the heart of a great school and that a great school continues to develop its teachers
- Understanding and experience working with the nuances of urban school communities and school culture
- Proven commitment to be a lifelong learner, in general and particularly in regards to education and learning
- A proven track record of success in the classroom, instructional excellence, and exceptional classroom management
- Knowledge of exemplary teaching and the capacity to distinguish among poor, mediocre, solid and outstanding teaching
- Examples of a relentless drive, a “do whatever it takes” belief, and commitment to eliminate the disparity of educational quality that exists
- Proven ability to plan, organize, and direct education programs and activities
- Ability to organize workload independently and set priorities; to adapt quickly to changing priorities; and perform multiple interrelated tasks under deadline pressures
- Strong strategic thinking and problem solving capabilities
- Appreciates and is able to work in a highly collaborative environment
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to engage in critical conversations with respect, vision, and humility
- Ability to manage people and complex projects
- Strong interpersonal skills
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.