Great Lakes Academy, Principal (2017-2018) (Chicago, IL)
Date published: 25-Oct-2017
Great Lakes Academy is a Level 1+ charter school that opened in 2014. For the 2017-2018 academic year we are serving students in grades K-4 and will continue to add a grade level annually to reach K-8. We are seeking a high capacity, fiercely positive, growth oriented Principal to set and execute the vision for the school and ensure that every adult in the building is focused on preparing students for success in college and their careers.
The Principal works closely with the Executive Director and full Leadership Team in establishing and maintaining a fiercely positive, warm/strict school culture, coaching teachers, and managing the performance of the full instructional staff.
- Maintains a strong adult culture with annual staff retention over 80%
- Maintains student and family satisfaction with annual attrition under 10%.
- Student achievement on NWEA, MAP and PARCC is at least 20% higher than city and state averages.
- Classroom systems and procedures at school are clearly communicated and consistently implemented to 100%.
- Student Culture reflects the BE GREAT core values, a love of learning, growth mindset and consistent social emotional growth.
- Rigorous Common Core standards aligned curriculum is analyzed, selected and utilized at a highly effective level for students as demonstrated by student assessment data.
- A staff culture around data analysis and responsive action planning is cultivated and supported; data analysis is supported for all subject areas.
- Leads and manages instructional Leadership Team members including Assistant Principal, Dean of Curriculum and Instruction, Student Support Coordinator
- Develops educational programming, including the school's curriculum and enrichment programming
- Trains or coordinates the training of all staff members, including teachers
- Selects and trains the staff on the assessments used by the school, such as STEP, in addition to state tests
- Drives teachers’ growth at high levels by facilitating individual goal setting and coaching around classroom culture, curriculum development, lesson creation and lesson execution, and data analysis and action planning
- Works with the school Leadership Team to develop, implement and maintain every detail of the school’s systems and procedures, including homework, discipline, transitions, entrance and exit, community celebrations, morning meetings, and classroom culture so that GLA is structured and highly joyful with a focus on growth
- Coaches leadership team members on coaching teachers on executing daily, weekly and interim assessments and analysis, implementing highly responsive instructional action plans that bring 100% of scholars to mastery of 100% of objectives such that every single student masters every single standard
- Creates system for tracking school culture and monitors, analyzes and defines action plans based on this data
- Coordinates staff-wide professional development programming
- Drives positive staff culture that is reflected as average staff ratings of “strongly agree” and “agree” for job satisfaction on quarterly surveys
- Strong teaching track record of student success in the classroom and around student culture & learning
- Experienced teacher coach with track record of growing instructors in lesson planning, curriculum building, action planning, data analysis, classroom management, and lesson execution
- Deep knowledge of the teacher “taxonomies” per TLAC
- Deep knowledge of elementary curriculum in math and ELA
- Deep knowledge of curricular resources and programs, including an understanding of common core standards and best practices for social-emotional learning
- Strong executor able to create high quality work product and stay highly organized in a multi-faceted role with intense time pressures
- Strong communicator and relationship builder with adults, including all school stakeholders such as staff, students, families and community partners
- Able to build a positive, collaborative, and motivated team
- Able to drive cultural consistency, emotional continuity, system and procedural consistency; demonstrates intentional calm and positivity
- Demonstrated leadership skills - highly organized and efficient, execution oriented, self-motivated, self-aware, self-directed, solution driven, and humble
- Strong problem solver - able to adapt and problem solve in the moment
- Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s degree is preferred; and
- Minimum of four years teaching experience in an urban public school or urban charter school setting; and
- Previous school based leadership team experience required; and
- Experience and success leading and training adults to positively impact student outcomes; and
- Belief in and alignment with Great Lakes Academy’s core beliefs and educational philosophy is non-negotiable.
Culture Fit- Do these words describe you?
Fiercely positive, Sense of humor, Hard-working, Intelligent, Organized, Humble, Self-reflective, Self-directed, Goal- oriented, Enthusiastic, Friendly
As an equal opportunity employer, Great Lakes Academy hires without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by applicable law.
Don’t see the job you are looking for? Can’t quite decide? Submit your resume for Network Talent General Interest. A Hiring Manager will reach out to you if you are a good match for an upcoming position at their school.General Interest, Apply Here!