Great Lakes Academy, Music and Art Teacher (2018-2019) (Chicago, IL)
Date published: 10-Jan-2018
Great Lakes Academy is a Level 1+ K-8 charter school that opened in 2014. For the 2018-2019 academic year we will be serving students in grades K-5 and will continue to add a grade level annually to reach K-8. We are seeking a high capacity, fiercely positive, growth oriented Music and Art Teacher for the 2018-2019 school year.
A Great Lakes Academy Music and Art Teacher will be a part of a team of game-changing teachers working to change the face of education on the Southeast Side of Chicago. A Music and Art Teacher takes responsibility for the high academic achievement and character development of every child in his or her classroom.
- Demonstrates a classroom culture that is fiercely positive and devotes the majority of time to instruction rather than discipline
- Instills a joy of learning in students and works to develop motivated and self-monitoring learners with the skills to set, monitor and meet academic, enrichment, and SEL goals
- Establishes relationships with students’ families, cultivating engaging, rigorous learning environments for our students in and out of the classroom
- Creates Art and Music Scope and Sequence that builds students' knowledge of art and music year over year
- Consistently models the BE GREAT Great Lakes Academy core values: Bravery, Endurance, Growth, Responsibility, Enthusiasm, Achievement, and Team
- Develops a strong relationship with, and contributes to the development of, fellow teachers; collaborates with all staff members across team, grade level and experience
- Writes and delivers lesson plans that are engaging and effective per student data
- Implements classroom instruction that supports the social-emotional growth of students
- Cultivates positive, collaborative relationships with families and consistent communication with families
- Assesses and evaluates student growth; action plans on class-wide, group-wide and individual basis in response to student data
- Creates a classroom culture that develops in students the BE GREAT core values and independent learning skills
- Participates and grows tremendously during annual four-week staff orientation and training
- Provides meaningful feedback to colleagues and collaborates and shares ideas and lessons with colleagues
- Outstanding classroom management that relies on positive, proactive reinforcement of high behavioral standards
- Strong relationship builder with students, families, and other staff members
- Critical thinker with ability to analyze data and adjust plans to improve student achievement
- Growth mindset and ability to accept and implement feedback
- Ability to work collaboratively and without ego
- Willingness to place student achievement as highest goal
- Self-reflective, with a drive to continually grow as a teacher
- Willingness to work hard and the flexibility to work through start-up challenges
- Ability to quickly learn and implement technology innovations in the classroom
- Bachelor’s degree is required
- Teaching experience in an urban public school or charter school setting preferred, but not required
- Valid IL State Certification
- Belief in and alignment with Great Lakes Academy’s core beliefs and educational philosophy is non-negotiable.
Culture Fit- Do these words describe you?
Fiercely positive, Hard-working, Intelligent, Team oriented, Organized, Sense of humor, Belief in the power of education, Humble, Self-reflective, Goal-oriented, Enthusiastic, Growth Oriented
As an equal opportunity employer, Great Lakes Academy hires without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by applicable law.