Great Lakes Academy, Elementary Teacher (2017-2018) (Chicago, IL)
Date published: 14-Dec-2016
Great Lakes Academy is a K-8 charter school that opened in 2014. For the 2017-2018 academic year we will be serving students in grades K-4 and will continue to add a grade level annually to reach K-8. We are seeking high capacity, fiercely positive, growth oriented elementary teachers for the 2017-2018 school year.
A Great Lakes Academy Elementary Teacher will be a part of a team of game-changing teachers working to change the face of education on the Southeast Side of Chicago. An Elementary Teacher takes responsibility for the high academic achievement and character development of every child in his or her classroom. Each grade consists of co-teachers who work collaboratively for student success.
- Demonstrates a classroom culture that is fiercely positive and devotes the majority of time to instruction rather than discipline
- Instills a joy of learning in students and works to develop self-motivated and self-monitoring learners with the skills to set, monitor and meet goals
- Employs previous experience, best practices, and creativity to connect with students to ensure student achievement on interim and state tests demonstrates an average of 85% mastery; student achievement on STEP averages 4 levels of growth per year
- Establishes relationships with students’ families, cultivating learning environments for our students in and out of the classroom
- Consistently models the BE GREAT Great Lakes Academy core values: Bravery, Endurance, Growth, Responsibility, Enthusiasm, Achievement, and Team
- Develops a strong relationship with, and contributes to the development of, fellow teachers
- Writes and delivers lesson plans that are engaging and effective per student data
- Implements classroom instruction that supports the social-emotional growth of students
- Cultivates positive, collaborative relationships with families and consistent communication with families
- Assesses and evaluates student growth; action plans on class-wide, group-wide and individual basis in response to student data
- Creates a classroom culture that develops in students the BE GREAT core values and independent learning skills
- Participates in an annual four-week staff orientation and training during the summer
- Provides meaningful feedback to Co-Teachers on a schedule and fashion determined by the Executive Director
- Outstanding classroom management that relies on positive, proactive reinforcement of high behavioral standards
- Strong relationship builder with students, families, and other staff members
- Critical thinker with ability to analyze data and adjust plans to improve student achievement
- Growth mindset and ability to accept and implement feedback
- Ability to work collaboratively and without ego
- Willingness to place student achievement as highest goal
- Self-reflective, with a drive to continually grow as a teacher
- Willingness to work hard and the flexibility to work through start-up challenges
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Teaching experience in an urban public school or charter school setting preferred, but not required
- Valid State Certification
- ESL Certification preferred, but not required
- Belief in and alignment with Great Lakes Academy’s core beliefs and educational philosophy is non-negotiable.
Culture Fit- Do these words describe you?
Fiercely positive, Hard-working, Intelligent, Team oriented, Organized, Sense of humor, Belief in the power of education, Humble, Self-reflective, Goal-oriented, Enthusiastic
Don’t see the job you are looking for? Can’t quite decide? Submit your resume for Network Talent General Interest. A Hiring Manager will reach out to you if you are a good match for an upcoming position at their school.General Interest, Apply Here!