Great Lakes Academy, Dean of Curriculum and Instruction (2018-2019) (Chicago, IL)
Date published: 10-Jan-2018
Great Lakes Academy is a Level 1+ charter school that opened in 2014. For the 2018-2019 academic year we will be serving students in grades K-5 and will continue to add a grade level annually to reach K-8. We are seeking a high capacity, fiercely positive, growth oriented Dean of Curriculum and Instruction to support teachers and students in grade K-5.
The Dean of Curriculum & Instruction (DCI) works closely with Principal in establishing and maintaining a fiercely positive, warm/strict school culture, creating a college preparatory curriculum for each grade, including the assessments and scope and sequence, and coaching teachers in classroom management and lesson creation and execution.
- Teachers are trained to plan and execute lessons at an average rating of “3” (mastery) on the GLA evaluation
- Average ratings from quarterly surveys by teachers rate coaching at an average of 8/10
- PD is clearly communicated, effective, and planned to be both responsive to school trends and proactive in supporting high student academic achievement
- Classroom systems and procedures at school are clearly communicated and consistently implemented to 100%
- Rigorous, Common Core standard aligned curriculum is analyzed, selected and utilized at a highly effective level for students
- A staff culture around data analysis and responsive action planning is cultivated and supported; data analysis is supported for all subject areas
- A pacing plan and day-by-day scope and sequence for all subject areas is in place for all grades to start the school year
- Staff model of GLA Core Values and Leadership Values
- Creates rigorous, standards-based interim assessments for Reading Comprehension, Math, Science, Social Studies, and Writing for every grade, as well as systems to evaluate the outcomes and respond to data
- Drives teachers’ growth at high levels through individual goal setting and coaching around classroom culture, curriculum development, lesson creation and lesson execution, and data analysis and action planning
- Works with the school Leadership Team to develop, implement and maintain every detail of the school’s systems and procedures, including homework, discipline, transitions, entrance and exit, community celebrations, morning meetings, and classroom culture so that GLA is structured and highly joyful with a focus on growth
- Coaches teachers on executing daily, weekly and interim assessments and analysis, implementing highly responsive instructional action plans that bring 100% of scholars to mastery of 100% of objectives such that every single student masters every single standard
- Creates system for tracking school culture and monitors, analyzes and defines action plans based on this data
- Builds staff-wide professional development programming to lead teachers in highly responsive action plans based on student data, bringing 100% of scholars to mastery of 100% of grade level standards
- Plans and teaches model lessons for teachers
- Strong teaching track record of student success in the classroom and around student culture & learning
- Experienced teacher coach with track record of growing instructors in lesson planning, curriculum building, action planning, data analysis, classroom management, and lesson execution
- Deep knowledge of the teacher “taxonomies” per TLAC
- Deep knowledge of elementary curriculum in math and ELA, with particular knowledge of literacy development
- Deep knowledge of curricular resources and programs, including an understanding of common core and social- emotional learning practices
- Strong executor able to create high quality work product and stay highly organized in a multi-faceted role with intense time pressures
- Strong communicator and relationship builder with adults, including all staff, student families and community partners
- Able to build a strong, collaborative, transparent, and motivated team
- Able to drive cultural consistency, emotional continuity, system and procedural consistency; demonstrates intentional calm and positivity
- Demonstrated leadership skills - highly organized and efficient, execution oriented, self-motivated, self-aware, self-directed and solution driven, and humble
- Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s degree is preferred; and
- Four years teaching experience in an urban public school or urban charter school setting preferred; Two years of teacher coaching experience required.
- Valid State Certification is helpful but not required.
- Belief in and alignment with Great Lakes Academy’s core beliefs and educational philosophy is non-negotiable.
Culture Fit- Do these words describe you?
Fiercely positive, Sense of Humor, Hard-working, Intelligent, Organized, Humble, Self-reflective, Self-directed, Goal- oriented, Enthusiastic, Friendly.
As an equal opportunity employer, Great Lakes Academy hires without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by applicable law.
Don’t see the job you are looking for? Can’t quite decide? Submit your resume for Network Talent General Interest. A Hiring Manager will reach out to you if you are a good match for an upcoming position at their school.General Interest, Apply Here!