Excel Academy Charter Schools, Staff Accountant (Immediate Opening) (Boston, MA)
Date published: 14-Feb-2017
Excel Academy Charter Schools is a network of tuition-free, public charter schools serving the Massachusetts communities of East Boston and Chelsea. It was founded to address the severe academic underperformance and low college matriculation rates of the student populations in these neighborhoods. Our founders envisioned a free, public school alternative where all students would be held to the highest academic and behavioral expectations, and college would become a reality. As a true public school, Excel is defined not by whom we exclude but by whom we include in our community. We are proud of the fact that we serve many students with special needs.
The network’s first school opened in fall 2003 in East Boston and now serves 224 students, grades 5 through 8. Excel Academy Chelsea, the 2nd school in our network, opened in fall 2011. Our third school, Excel Academy Orient Heights, opened in August of 2012. And our first high school, Excel Academy Charter High School, opened in fall 2015. Excel now educates 960 students in grades 5-10. At full scale in 2019, Excel will enroll a total of 1,350 students in grades 5-12
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Controller, the Staff Accountant will have significant responsibility for driving the monthly accounting cycle. Specific responsibilities related to the day to day operations include:
- Drive month-end-close activities
- Prepare monthly balance sheet reconciliations
- Reconcile bank accounts
- Process payroll and benefits
- Prepare journal entries
- Analyze accounts receivable and accounts payable
- Assist in the preparation of audits, financial statements and varied fiscal reports
- Review accounting documents to ensure accuracy of information and compliance
- Perform other tasks as necessary
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting and at least 3 year of applicable work experience
- Non-Profit accounting experience preferred
- Understanding of US GAAP
- Proficient or expert with QuickBooks
- Fluency in Microsoft Office software, including intermediate or advanced skills in Excel
- Dynamic individual with strong interpersonal, problem-solving, and written and oral communication skills
- Ability to operate in an entrepreneurial, demanding environment
- High level of independence and motivation required
- Must be able to multi task to meet required deadlines.
- Motivated by the mission of achieving excellence with our students
Campus/Location: Excel Academy Network Team (East Boston, MA)
Reports to: Controller
Excel Academy Charter Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, proficiency in the English language or a foreign language or prior academic achievement.
Don’t see the job you are looking for? Can’t quite decide? Submit your resume for Network Talent General Interest. A Hiring Manager will reach out to you if you are a good match for an upcoming position at their school.General Interest, Apply Here!