Excel Academy Charter Schools, School Counselor (2018-2019) (Boston, MA)
Date published: 22-Feb-2018
Excel Academy Charter Schools is a network of tuition-free, public charter schools serving the Massachusetts communities of East Boston and Chelsea. It was founded to address the severe academic underperformance and low college matriculation rates of the student populations in these neighborhoods. Our founders envisioned a free, public school alternative where all students would be held to the highest academic and behavioral expectations, and college would become a reality. As a true public school, Excel is defined not by whom we exclude but by whom we include in our community. We are proud of the fact that we serve many students with special needs.
The network’s first school opened in fall 2003 in East Boston and now serves 224 students, grades 5 through 8. Excel Academy Chelsea, the 2nd school in our network, opened in fall 2011. Our third school, Excel Academy Orient Heights, opened in August of 2012. And our first high school, Excel Academy Charter High School, opened in fall 2015. Excel now educates 1100+ students in grades 5-11. At full scale in 2019, Excel will enroll a total of 1,350 students in grades 5-12.
Duties & Responsibilities
Excel Academy High School is seeking a School Counselor who is responsible for assessing and providing limited school-based treatment social-emotional concerns that interfere with the student’s ability to access and engage in the Excel curriculum. Core responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assess student needs;
- Provide recommendations based on professional expertise;
- Manage an ongoing caseload of students;
- Communicate with parents;
- Provide counseling and support services for selected students, as needed;
- Coordinate care and frequently communicate with outside providers
- Work as part of the Student Support Team; and
- Serve as a productive member of the Excel community.
- Must hold a Master’s degree with a major in social work or counseling;
- Must hold an LICSW, LCSW, or LSW (or working towards a licensure, requiring supervision hours) or hold a DESE license in school counseling or adjustment counseling; and
- Minimum of 1 year experience in a school-based setting; and
- Ability to speak Spanish preferred, but not necessary.
- A commitment to working with underserved, urban youth;
- An unwavering commitment to and belief in the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the wiliness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
- An entrepreneurial spirit that reflects an openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in developing new ideas and programs.
Excel provides a competitive compensation package that includes benefits and is commensurate with experience.
Excel Academy Charter Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, proficiency in the English language or a foreign language or prior academic achievement.
Organization: Excel Academy Charter Schools
Job Title: School Counselor
Campus/Location: Excel Academy High School