Excel Academy Charter Schools, Middle School Special Education Teacher (2017-2018) (Boston, MA)
Date published: 30-Nov-2016
Charter Schools is a network of tuition-free, public
charter schools serving the Massachusetts communities of East Boston and
Chelsea. It was founded to address the severe academic underperformance and low
college matriculation rates of the student populations in these neighborhoods.
Our founders envisioned a free, public school alternative where all students
would be held to the highest academic and behavioral expectations, and college
would become a reality. As a true public school, Excel is defined not by whom
we exclude but by whom we include in our community. We are proud of the fact
that we serve many students with special needs.
The network’s first school opened in fall 2003 in East Boston and now serves 224 students, grades 5 through 8. Excel Academy Chelsea, the 2nd school in our network, opened in fall 2011. Our third school, Excel Academy Orient Heights, opened in August of 2012. And our first high school, Excel Academy Charter High School, opened in fall 2015. Excel now educates 960 students in grades 5-10. At full scale in 2019, Excel will enroll a total of 1,350 students in grades 5-12.
Duties and Responsibilities
are responsible for delivering effective, high-quality, rigorous
college-preparatory instruction designed to foster the success of their
students. Teachers who thrive at Excel
tend to be entrepreneurial instructors and hungry learners who crave frequent
high-quality feedback on their practice. Out of the classroom and with the
support of school administrators, the Middle School Special Education Teacher
will manage administrative/regulatory aspects of the Special Education Program.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Teach daily instructional support lessons to students on caseload, utilizing time outside of core-academic classes;
- Serve as an inclusion teacher as needed to more effectively support the learning abilities of students with high needs;
- Work closely with general education teachers to differentiate curriculum, help create effective accommodations, and modify curriculum when appropriate; and
- Ensure that all work with students with special needs is aligned with the school’s academic goals for student achievement.
- Write all IEPs of new Special Education students & revise/update existing IEPs;
- Coordinate outsourced Special Education testing and manage Special Education Consultants (i.e. Speech and Language Therapist; Occupational Therapist, etc.);
- Ensure that implementation of Special Education services is in compliance with federal and state special education regulations;
- Manage all paperwork (e.g. IEPs, 504s, Child Study Records of Accommodations, Teacher Input Questionnaires, IEP Progress Reports, subject-area checklists for MCAS, etc.) associated with Special Education cases, ensuring deadlines are met and information is accurately recorded;
- Maintain regular communication with students’ parents/guardians and families; and
- Create all CPR/CAP documents to ensure DOE compliance.
Team Member Responsibilities
- Enforce school-wide systems and procedures to effectively manage the classroom;
- Continually communicate with students and families regarding academic and behavior performance and progress;
- Serve as a homeroom teacher and student advisor; and
- Serve as a productive member of the Excel Community.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; a Master’s degree and certification in Special Education is strongly preferred;
- A minimum of two years’ teaching experience in an urban public school or charter school setting preferred, but not required;
- A commitment to working with underserved, urban youth;
- An unwavering commitment to and belief in the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
- An entrepreneurial spirit that reflects an openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in developing new ideas & programs.
Excel provides a competitive compensation package that includes benefits and is commensurate with experience.
Don’t see the job you are looking for? Can’t quite decide? Submit your resume for Network Talent General Interest. A Hiring Manager will reach out to you if you are a good match for an upcoming position at their school.General Interest, Apply Here!