Excel Academy Charter Schools, Middle School Social Studies Teacher (2017-2018) (Boston, MA)
Date published: 30-Nov-2016
Charter Schools is a network of tuition-free, public charter
schools serving the Massachusetts communities of East Boston and Chelsea. It
was founded to address the severe academic underperformance and low college
matriculation rates of the student populations in these neighborhoods. Our
founders envisioned a free, public school alternative where all students would
be held to the highest academic and behavioral expectations, and college would
become a reality. As a true public school, Excel is defined not by whom we
exclude but by whom we include in our community. We are proud of the fact that
we serve many students with special needs.
The network’s first school opened in fall 2003 in East Boston and now serves 224 students, grades 5 through 8. Excel Academy Chelsea, the 2nd school in our network, opened in fall 2011. Our third school, Excel Academy Orient Heights, opened in August of 2012. And our first high school, Excel Academy Charter High School, opened in fall 2015. Excel now educates 960 students in grades 5-10. At full scale in 2019, Excel will enroll a total of 1,350 students in grades 5-12.
Duties and Responsibilities
Excel teachers are responsible for delivering effective, high-quality, rigorous college-preparatory instruction designed to foster the success of their students. Teachers who thrive at Excel tend to be entrepreneurial instructors and hungry learners who crave frequent, high-quality feedback on their practice. They also have a great deal of passion and expertise in their content area that they are eager to share with students. This position will perform a variety of essential responsibilities, including (but not limited to):
- Teach middle school social studies to two sections of students per semester;
- Collaborate with department members to develop and refine Excel’s social studies curriculum;
- Design and implement rigorous assessments that evaluate student mastery of academic standards;
- Hold students accountable for high behavioral expectations and implement Excel’s behavior management system with consistency;
- Provide coverage as needed during non-instructional time;
- Serve as a productive member of the Excel Academy community; and
- Do whatever it takes to ensure the mission of the school is upheld.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; a Master’s degree is preferred;
- A minimum of two years teaching experience in an urban public school or charter school setting preferred, but not required;
- The ability to speak Spanish preferred but not required;
- An unwavering commitment to and belief in the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
- A commitment to working with underserved, urban youth;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
- An entrepreneurial spirit that reflects an openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in developing new ideas & programs.
Excel provides a competitive compensation package that includes benefits and is commensurate with experience.
Don’t see the job you are looking for? Can’t quite decide? Submit your resume for Network Talent General Interest. A Hiring Manager will reach out to you if you are a good match for an upcoming position at their school.General Interest, Apply Here!