Excel Academy Charter Schools, Middle School ELL Specialist (2017-2018) (Boston, MA)
Date published: 30-Nov-2016
Charter Schools is a network of tuition-free, public
charter schools serving the Massachusetts communities of East Boston and
Chelsea. It was founded to address the severe academic underperformance and low
college matriculation rates of the student populations in these neighborhoods.
Our founders envisioned a free, public school alternative where all students
would be held to the highest academic and behavioral expectations, and college
would become a reality. As a true public school, Excel is defined not by whom
we exclude but by whom we include in our community. We are proud of the fact
that we serve many students with special needs.
The network’s first school opened in fall 2003 in East Boston and now serves 224 students, grades 5 through 8. Excel Academy Chelsea, the 2nd school in our network, opened in fall 2011. Our third school, Excel Academy Orient Heights, opened in August of 2012. And our first high school, Excel Academy Charter High School, opened in fall 2015. Excel now educates 960 students in grades 5-10. At full scale in 2019, Excel will enroll a total of 1,350 students in grades 5-12.
Duties & Responsibilities
The ELL Specialist provides direct instruction to students in need of a substantially separate English as a Second Language (ESL) course. A member of the Learning Support Department, this individual reports directly to the Principal and is responsible for the following activities:
- Teacher Support
- Advise teachers on modifying/accommodating curriculum for students in a pullout, ESL class.
- Student Support
- Teach a substantially separate ESL-class, based on caseload or provide inclusion support for English classes containing ELL students.
- Work specifically with ELL students during assigned periods of the day.
- Plan and teach the afterschool literacy program 4 days a week from 3:40-4:30 PM, coordinating logistics with the English department.
- Programmatic support
- Manage the ELL program including, but not limited to: completing of necessary paperwork, training of teachers, management of parent and student communications, executing of student testing/screening, and upholding of general Department of Education compliance requests.
- General Responsibilities
- Align student support services with the school’s mission and educational philosophy.
- Participate in generating and upholding Excel staff norms.
- Serve as a homeroom teacher and academic advisor.
- Serve as a productive member of the Excel community.
- A Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred;
- A minimum of two years of experience in an urban public school or charter school setting preferred, but not required;
- The ability to speak Spanish preferred but not required;
- A commitment to working with underserved, urban youth;
- An unwavering commitment to and belief in the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
- An entrepreneurial spirit that reflects an openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in developing new ideas & programs.
Don’t see the job you are looking for? Can’t quite decide? Submit your resume for Network Talent General Interest. A Hiring Manager will reach out to you if you are a good match for an upcoming position at their school.General Interest, Apply Here!