Excel Academy Charter Schools, High School Science Special Education Teacher (Immediate Opening) (Boston, MA)
Date published: 6-Feb-2018
Excel Academy Charter Schools is a network of tuition-free, public charter schools serving the Massachusetts communities of East Boston and Chelsea. It was founded to address the severe academic underperformance and low college matriculation rates of the student populations in these neighborhoods. Our founders envisioned a free, public school alternative where all students would be held to the highest academic and behavioral expectations, and college would become a reality. As a true public school, Excel is defined not by whom we exclude but by whom we include in our community. We are proud of the fact that we serve many students with special needs.
The network’s first school opened in fall 2003 in East Boston and now serves 224 students, grades 5 through 8. Excel Academy Chelsea, the 2nd school in our network, opened in fall 2011. Our third school, Excel Academy Orient Heights, opened in August of 2012. And our first high school, Excel Academy Charter High School, opened in fall 2015. Excel now educates 1100+ students in grades 5-11. At full scale in 2019, Excel will enroll a total of 1,350 students in grades 5-12.
Duties and Responsibilities
Excel teachers are responsible for delivering effective, high-quality, rigorous college-preparatory instruction designed to foster the success of their students. Teachers who thrive at Excel tend to be entrepreneurial instructors and hungry learners who crave frequent high-quality feedback on their practice. Excel Academy High School is seeking a strong Science Special Education teacher to be responsible for ensuring that all Special Education students make significant academic gains through classroom (inclusion) support and additional out-of-class support. Out of the classroom and with the support of school administrators, the Science Special Education teacher will manage administrative/ regulatory aspects of the Special Education Program. Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Teach self-contained science courses.
- Serve as an inclusion teacher as needed to more effectively support the learning abilities of students with high needs;
- Work closely with general education teachers to differentiate curriculum, help create effective accommodations, and modify curriculum when appropriate; and
- Ensure that all work with students with special needs is aligned with the school’s academic goals for student achievement.
- Provide case management to special education students, including daily instructional support to students on caseload, utilizing time outside of core-academic classes;
- Monitor and track student performance and develop action plans, as needed, to support individual students on your caseload, academically and behaviorally;
- Collect data and report on student IEP goals and objectives, quarterly;
- Provide IEP or 504 plan input and consult with students to develop and make changes to their transition plans
- Communicate with staff members supporting students on your caseload, including but not limited to, related service providers, school counselors, and the Dean of Students; and
- Maintain regular communication with students’ parents/guardians and families.
Team Member Responsibilities
- Enforce school-wide systems and procedures to effectively manage the classroom;
- Continually communicate with students and families regarding academic and behavior performance and progress;
- Serve as a homeroom teacher and student advisor; and
- Serve as a productive member of the Excel Community.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; a Master’s degree and certification in Special Education is strongly preferred;
- A minimum of two years teaching experience in an urban public school or charter school setting preferred, but not required;
- The ability to speak Spanish preferred but not required;
- A commitment to working with underserved, urban youth;
- An unwavering commitment to and belief in the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
- An entrepreneurial spirit that reflects an openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in developing new ideas & programs.
Excel provides a competitive compensation package that includes benefits and is commensurate with experience.
Excel Academy Charter Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, proficiency in the English language or a foreign language or prior academic achievement.
Organization: Excel Academy Charter Schools
Job Title: High School Science Special Education Teacher
Campus/Location: Excel Academy Charter High School