Excel Academy Charter Schools, High School Founding English Language Learner (ELL) Specialist (Immediate Opening) (Boston, MA)
Date published: 20-Sep-2017
Excel Academy Charter Schools is a growing network of high-performing charter schools dedicated to closing the achievement gap in the Boston area. The network currently operates three middle schools in East Boston and Chelsea and it launched its first high school in fall 2015. For 6 years in a row, Excel 8th graders have been the top-performers of all 450 Massachusetts public district and charter schools on the MCAS exams. The high school will build upon Excel Academy’s track record of success, providing a free college-preparatory high school option for all Excel middle school graduates.
Duties and Responsibilities
Excel teachers are responsible for delivering effective, high-quality, rigorous college-preparatory instruction designed to foster the success of their students. Teachers who thrive at Excel tend to be entrepreneurial instructors and hungry learners who crave frequent high-quality feedback on their practice. Excel Academy High School is seeking a strong English Language Learner (ELL) Specialist to provide direct instruction, inclusion, and case management support to students in need of a substantially separate English as a Second Language (ESL) program. A member of the Learning Support Department, this individual will report directly to the Dean of Student Supports and will be responsible for the following activities:
- Advise teachers on modifying/accommodating curriculum for students in in general education classes.
- Teach an ELD History replacement course;
- Provide inclusion support in English Language Acquisition courses;
- Provide additional inclusion support, as needed; and
- Regularly assess students’ progress and use assessment data to drive instructional choices
- Support in managing the ELL program including, but not limited to: completing of necessary paperwork, training of teachers, management of parent and student communications, executing of student testing/screening, and upholding of general Department of Education compliance requests.
- Align student support services with the school’s mission and educational philosophy;
- Participate in generating and upholding Excel staff norms;
- Serve as an academic advisor; and
- Serve as a productive member of the Excel community.
- A Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred;
- A minimum of two years of experience in an urban public school or charter school setting preferred, but not required;
- The ability to speak Spanish preferred but not required;
- A commitment to working with underserved, urban youth;
- An unwavering commitment to and belief in the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
- An entrepreneurial spirit that reflects an openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in developing new ideas & programs
Excel provides a competitive compensation package that includes benefits and is commensurate with experience.
Excel Academy Charter Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, proficiency in the English language or a foreign language or prior academic achievement.
Organization: Excel Academy Charter Schools
Job Title: High School Founding English Language Learner (ELL) Specialist
Campus/Location: Excel Academy Charter High School
Reports to: Head of School
Don’t see the job you are looking for? Can’t quite decide? Submit your resume for Network Talent General Interest. A Hiring Manager will reach out to you if you are a good match for an upcoming position at their school.General Interest, Apply Here!